The Student Room Group

Halogenation

Please see photo from spec. How do you show the formation of X+ or Xdelta+-AlX3delta- ? ImageUploadedByStudent Room1460907615.721948.jpg
I've asked so many people this question but no one can answer for some reason!?
Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
As you know - I hope so - halogenation are reactions where halogens (Chlorine, Bromine etc.) are involved. The letter X stands for these halogens as a variable for itself.

delta + and delta - are the charges of these halogens in this structural formula. In other words: the halogens exist in ionised state. These states are essential to react.

Here is a picture about how a halogenation could be shown: halogenation (example)

In this example delta(+)X-AlX3delta(-) is delta(+)Cl-AlCl3delta(-). In this example X stands for Cl, the halogenation is a chlorination. The same is possible with bromine, iodine and fluorine. Just substitue Cl in this picture with Br, I or F. You will get a bromination, iodination or fluorination.
Original post by Kallisto
As you know - I hope so - halogenation are reactions where halogens (Chlorine, Bromine etc.) are involved. The letter X stands for these halogens as a variable for itself.

delta + and delta - are the charges of these halogens in this structural formula. In other words: the halogens exist in ionised state. These states are essential to react.

Here is a picture about how a halogenation could be shown: halogenation (example)

In this example delta(+)X-AlX3delta(-) is delta(+)Cl-AlCl3delta(-). In this example X stands for Cl, the halogenation is a chlorination. The same is possible with bromine, iodine and fluorine. Just substitue Cl in this picture with Br, I or F. You will get a bromination, iodination or fluorination.

Doesn't delta mean partial charge not fully ionised? Thank you for the example. Are the charges in circles partial or full charges. And I still can't see where the X+ on its own is formed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maths_4_life
Doesn't delta mean partial charge not fully ionised? Thank you for the example. Are the charges in circles partial or full charges. And I still can't see where the X+ on its own is formed.

They are parital not full charges, as the charges lasts till halogenation is completed. So, you are right. My mistake. X+ seems to be another reaction of halogenation. If I am not mistaken, X+ refers to a radical substitution. It is a chain reaction, you know?
Original post by Kallisto
They are parital not full charges, as the charges lasts till halogenation is completed. So, you are right. My mistake. X+ seems to be another reaction of halogenation. If I am not mistaken, X+ refers to a radical substitution. It is a chain reaction, you know?

Thank you!! Ohhhh I forgot to say this is for halogenation of benzene. Does that make any of your answers different? Sorry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by KaylaB

Actually the mechanism as you have shown it is not as I believe it should be.

(in situ) 3Br-Br + 2Fe --> 2FeBr3

Then

Br-Br + FeBr3 --> Br ----- Br---FeBr3

Effectively this last structure has the form:

Br+ -------[FeBr4]-

and NOW the positive bromine is the electrophile that reacts with the benzene ring.
Reply 7
Original post by charco
Actually the mechanism as you have shown it is not as I believe it should be.

(in situ) 3Br-Br + 2Fe --> 2FeBr3

Then

Br-Br + FeBr3 --> Br ----- Br---FeBr3

Effectively this last structure has the form:

Br+ -------[FeBr4]-

and NOW the positive bromine is the electrophile that reacts with the benzene ring.

I feel like the bit in bold is pretty much the same as what I have above, except you've included how the catalyst is made also - which is good to know, but for my exam board we just need to know the reaction of the catalyst with the Halogen so I was unaware of that part:h:
Original post by KaylaB
I feel like the bit in bold is pretty much the same as what I have above, except you've included how the catalyst is made also - which is good to know, but for my exam board we just need to know the reaction of the catalyst with the Halogen so I was unaware of that part:h:

No.

You have the benzene electron pair attacking a bromine atom with no charge.

I have a benzene electron pair attacking a (partially) positive bromine atom ...
Reply 9
Original post by charco
No.

You have the benzene electron pair attacking a bromine atom with no charge.

I have a benzene electron pair attacking a (partially) positive bromine atom ...

Ah okay I understand now, thanks for explaining that :smile:
Original post by maths_4_life
Thank you!! Ohhhh I forgot to say this is for halogenation of benzene. Does that make any of your answers different? Sorry about that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it makes no difference in my view. Benzene has an aromatic structure, so electrophilic substitution would work for it. Electrophilic substitution in my given example is a reaction for aromatics.

Quick Reply

Latest