The Student Room Group

What to expect in A Level art?

Hi, I'm going to study art in sixth form in September. I'm a B grade student in art and get a lot of work done.I'm wondering what to expect on an average A level art course and what are classes normally like?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

hell.
Reply 3
Original post by Foutre en L'air
hell.

How so?
Original post by PunkAF
How so?

I'm kidding, of course.

First of all it's a big step up from GCSE. I got an A* and full marks with top in NI and I still struggle with the work load etc. I was again awarded full marks as AS however so in general the work you put in is (for the most part) proportional to your grade.

Just for a bit of advice, before starting the A Level I would perhaps have a talk with your teacher now and ask why your work is at a B standard at the moment and really target your weaknesses when it comes to next year.

If you have any specific questions feel free..
Is it specifically Fine Art or what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Foutre en L'air
I'm kidding, of course.

First of all it's a big step up from GCSE. I got an A* and full marks with top in NI and I still struggle with the work load etc. I was again awarded full marks as AS however so in general the work you put in is (for the most part) proportional to your grade.

Just for a bit of advice, before starting the A Level I would perhaps have a talk with your teacher now and ask why your work is at a B standard at the moment and really target your weaknesses when it comes to next year.

If you have any specific questions feel free..

I actually have quite a few questions haha

Do you have to do a lot of annotation work at a level?
Are you normally given a theme to base your projects around?
How many people are normally in a art class?
Reply 7
Original post by PunkAF
Hi, I'm going to study art in sixth form in September. I'm a B grade student in art and get a lot of work done.I'm wondering what to expect on an average A level art course and what are classes normally like?

Every sixth form run their Art A-level course differently from each other. Regardless, you will be doing far more work compared to Art GCSE and at a higher standards, plus your teachers will give you far less help than at GCSE (see this as an opportunity to grow).

As mentioned above, find out the reason why you are currently getting a B so that you would not continue like that with A-levels.
Reply 8
Original post by kkboyk
Every sixth form run their Art A-level course differently from each other. Regardless, you will be doing far more work compared to Art GCSE and at a higher standards, plus your teachers will give you far less help than at GCSE (see this as an opportunity to grow).

As mentioned above, find out the reason why you are currently getting a B so that you would not continue like that with A-levels.

Thanks. My work can be kinda messy so thats generally why I dont get As. The art teacher I have already does that and only gives help if youve messed up big time or arent sure how to do an idea.
Reply 9
Original post by PunkAF
Thanks. My work can be kinda messy so thats generally why I dont get As. The art teacher I have already does that and only gives help if youve messed up big time or arent sure how to do an idea.

This website helped me a lot with my Art coursework. You should have a look through it, it has a lot of useful advice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending