The Student Room Group

Absolutely Petrified of HIV

I lost my virginity to a boy who claimed he had had sex with 29 people. This is only from him and hasn't been confirmed but I'm not ruling anything out.

About a week later, I had a full STD check for everything, including HIV. Everything came back fine. It only dawned on me the other day to look up HIV, I don't know why I just did and I read that it doesn't show up on a test until about 3 months after exposure. What a lie my doctor told me who took the test a week after my intercourse.

I am going to get one straight away tomorrow because I am terrified it turns up. There are however a few points to consider:
1. I am one of these people who gets scared about health really easily and I worry about all sorts of things to do with my health so I am getting very worked up over this (I am a smoker which makes this ironic).
2. The boy has since found a new long term partner who he now lives with. I confronted the boy on Facebook and he told me that he was checked for everything both before and after having sex with me and they came back clear (I can only take his word for it however I get paranoid easily too so I'm worried he's lying).
3. When we had sex, it was only twice and I am very confident he didn't ejaculate. To be honest, it wasn't enjoyable so we both stopped and ended the potential relationship early on. This doesn't mean to say he didn't pre cum however.
4. I contracted glandular fever about 1-2 months after the intercourse. I had a blood test to diagnose this and it confirmed I had glandular fever, but the doctor said nothing about HIV in that blood test which I assumed they would have picked up.

I am just very scared for this blood test and I have AS exams coming up in the next 4 weeks so I don't want to be worried about it because it might affect my performance. I physically can't wait until after the exams to get tested because I will worry and be paranoid too much so I'm having it done tomorrow.

I just wanted your opinions on whether it's likely or not I may have it.
Reply 1
Just a quick one. This was in about June/July/August time last year.
Modern HIV blood tests produce reliable results after a month, so yes, a week was too early.

However, even if he did have HIV (which he very probably doesn't) and wasn't receiving treatment, and if he ejaculated inside you (which he didn't) you'd be looking at 'about' a one in a thousand chance of getting it. Without ejaculation, it's not going to happen.

But you're worried, and so testing may be needed to confirm this. The 'one hour' tests will be reliable after this time.

Your smoking is far, far riskier to you than any of this. (It kills more gay men than HIV does, for example.)
Reply 3
Original post by unprinted
Modern HIV blood tests produce reliable results after a month, so yes, a week was too early.

However, even if he did have HIV (which he very probably doesn't) and wasn't receiving treatment, and if he ejaculated inside you (which he didn't) you'd be looking at 'about' a one in a thousand chance of getting it. Without ejaculation, it's not going to happen.

But you're worried, and so testing may be needed to confirm this. The 'one hour' tests will be reliable after this time.

Your smoking is far, far riskier to you than any of this. (It kills more gay men than HIV does, for example.)

Thank you for that. I think I just needed reassurance. I am one of these people who can't sit around getting nothing done so I am going to get the test tomorrow for peace of mind.

Quick Reply

Latest