The Student Room Group

is it okay to stop taking the contraceptive pill mid pack??

I've been on the contraceptive pill Rigevidon for more than 2 years now. I've already taken 2 packs in a row without a break but I'm going on holiday next week when my period is due! Can I stop taking the pill today with 7 left in the packet, have my period this week then start a new pack after my 7 day break? Is doing this safe for me, and will I still be protected from pregnancy after the 7 day break if I don't finish this pack?

I've spoken to two pharmacists one of which told me this was perfectly fine to do and that I would still be protected from pregnancy after the 7 day break, and the other one told me absolutely not to do this! The second one never explained why, they just said take a third pack without a break, but that I would probably have bleeding anyway!

Please give me some advice!
The pill is a form of contraception. In a similar form to wearing a condom, if a man wore one every day for four years and chose to not wear it for a week, it wouldn't have devastating consequences. Listen to the first GP, they know what they're on about.

Why would you want to stop taking it for just a week though? Unless you're planning on getting pregnant while abroad...
Original post by Tinemither
The pill is a form of contraception. In a similar form to wearing a condom, if a man wore one every day for four years and chose to not wear it for a week, it wouldn't have devastating consequences. Listen to the first GP, they know what they're on about.

Why would you want to stop taking it for just a week though? Unless you're planning on getting pregnant while abroad...

I think the OP doesn't want to get her period on holiday. You won't be protected though OP so pregnancy is possible! Use extra protection if you're going to be having sex. I fell pregnant through one missed pill. It's that easy.
Original post by Alice__90
I think the OP doesn't want to get her period on holiday. You won't be protected though OP so pregnancy is possible! Use extra protection if you're going to be having sex. I fell pregnant through one missed pill. It's that easy.

Maybe! Though I read it as 'Can i stop taking the pill for one week, have my period this week and start a new pack after', or something to that effect.

Make sure if you are having sex, you are protected! One slip up and you may find yourself walking down a road to chaos! But yeah, Alice. That's the issues with pills. You need to take them daily, but may forget.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I've been on the contraceptive pill Rigevidon for more than 2 years now. I've already taken 2 packs in a row without a break but I'm going on holiday next week when my period is due! Can I stop taking the pill today with 7 left in the packet, have my period this week then start a new pack after my 7 day break? Is doing this safe for me, and will I still be protected from pregnancy after the 7 day break if I don't finish this pack?

I've spoken to two pharmacists one of which told me this was perfectly fine to do and that I would still be protected from pregnancy after the 7 day break, and the other one told me absolutely not to do this! The second one never explained why, they just said take a third pack without a break, but that I would probably have bleeding anyway!

Please give me some advice!

You need to take at least 21 pills to be protected from pregnancy. So if you stop mid pack, you need to ensure you have taken 21 pills before you stop, and will then take 21 pills after the break.

If you stop mid pack it is tempting to just take the rest of the pack then have another break but you cannot do this. You must take a full pack to be protected.

Quick Reply

Latest