The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements for American Unis

I'm in Y11 and would love to study in the US, I have just started looking into it and I am wondering if their unis accepts a sub diploma btec along with 2 A levels?
They don't have that many formal requirements, so they probably will accept it. That won't get you into any top schools though.
Original post by Anonymous061299
I'm in Y11 and would love to study in the US, I have just started looking into it and I am wondering if their unis accepts a sub diploma btec along with 2 A levels?

It depends largely on the colleges you wish to apply to. None of them have any 'formal' requirements as such but there will be a sort of benchmark of what they seem to expect from students, namely those with UK credentials in your case.
Most important thing is studying for the SAT

Prepare for that, do well, and you'll be fine
Original post by CrimsonDucati

It's important but saying they'll be fine if they do well in it and that it's the most important thing is wrong.
for an international student, it's by far the most important aspect

Unless the op has won a gold medal at an olympiad, SAT score will be the main decider

Extra curriculars are very overrated on these forums.. Top American universities mainly use them after they weed out candidates

Look at the SAT scores of accepted international students.

Here are the SAT scores for UC Berkeley

"UC Berkeley’s acceptance rate dropped by about two percentage points from last year’s rate of roughly 17 percent. 18.3 percent of resident students received admission this year, while only 12.9 percent of domestic nonresident students and 7.3 percent of international students were admitted.
In addition, the average unweighted GPA for resident admits was 3.91, while the average for domestic nonresident admits was 3.94. The average SAT score was 2075 for admitted residents and 2237 for domestic nonresidents.Average composite ACT scores were 31 for residents and 34 for domestic nonresidents."

For domestic out of state students, the average SAT score is 150 points higher; it's even higher for international students.If an international student applying to top schools wants to stand out, they're gonna need an SAT score over 2300, or in the new scoring, around 1550 out of 160. This is the reality. If we're talking about universities that are not selective, then the most important factor will be ability to pay

Original post by ivybridge
It's important but saying they'll be fine if they do well in it and that it's the most important thing is wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
for an international student, it's by far the most important aspect

Unless the op has won a gold medal at an olympiad, SAT score will be the main decider

Extra curriculars are very overrated on these forums.. Top American universities mainly use them after they weed out candidates

Look at the SAT scores of accepted international students.

Here are the SAT scores for UC Berkeley

"UC Berkeley’s acceptance rate dropped by about two percentage points from last year’s rate of roughly 17 percent. 18.3 percent of resident students received admission this year, while only 12.9 percent of domestic nonresident students and 7.3 percent of international students were admitted.
In addition, the average unweighted GPA for resident admits was 3.91, while the average for domestic nonresident admits was 3.94. The average SAT score was 2075 for admitted residents and 2237 for domestic nonresidents.Average composite ACT scores were 31 for residents and 34 for domestic nonresidents."

For domestic out of state students, the average SAT score is 150 points higher; it's even higher for international students.If an international student applying to top schools wants to stand out, they're gonna need an SAT score over 2300, or in the new scoring, around 1550 out of 1600This is the reality. If we're talking about universities that are not selective, then the most important factor will be ability to pay

No it isn't. Take it from someone who literally jusy applied and had an indepth discussion about this with a UPenn Admissions Tutor. The SAT is on its way out. It is not the most important factor. Everything is collective.
Take it from an American that is very familiar with the process.

You are simply wrong if you are saying the SAT is not a huge factor.

You are giving false information...

Let's go through the logic

it is a fact that UPENN requires the SAT

It is also a fact that the average SAT score for admitted students is around 2200

That's well over 700 in each section

If it's not important, then why is it required, and why are the scores so high?

Obviously, scores are very important

I really do not care what someone told you.. Admissions Depts always tell students not to worry too much about testing, but yet, they are still required by most top schools, and scores are exceedingly high.

We can actually do an even better analysis

Look at acceptance rates for different SAT ranges... What do you think we'll find?

No it isn't. Take it from someone who literally jusy applied and had an indepth discussion about this with a UPenn Admissions Tutor. The SAT is on its way out. It is not the most important factor. Everything is collective.
Take it from an American that is very familiar with the process.

You are simply wrong if you are saying the SAT is not a huge factor.

You are giving false information...

Let's go through the logic

it is a fact that UPENN requires the SAT

It is also a fact that the average SAT score for admitted students is around 2200

That's well over 700 in each section

If it's not important, then why is it required, and why are the scores so high?

Obviously, scores are very important

I really do not care what someone told you.. Admissions Depts always tell students not to worry too much about testing, but yet, they are still required by most top schools, and scores are exceedingly high.

We can actually do an even better analysis

Look at acceptance rates for different SAT ranges... What do you think we'll find?

You being American means nothing - I heard it from somebody who assess the information you are referring to. You are wrong.

Also, you are trying to say I said it wasn't important. I did not. I said it was not the MOST important factor. Also, what I have been told by someone assessif applicants from a top school has more weight than your nationality and ability to look up College Admission Stats. Move along.

Lets just agree to disagree.
(edited 7 years ago)
Argument by personal anecdote is not very convincing.

"you are wrong" even less so

Good luck with your applications,sir

You being American means nothing - I heard it from somebody who assess the information you are referring to. You are wrong.

Also, you are trying to say I said it wasn't important. I did not. I said it was not the MOST important factor. Also, what I have been told by someone assessif applicants from a top school has more weight than your nationality and ability to look up College Admission Stats. Move along.

Lets just agree to disagree.
Argument by personal anecdote is not very convincing.

"you are wrong" even less so

Good luck with your applications,sir

So unbelievably idiotic.

Yep.
You're obviously a very sensitive young man.

I apologize for disagreeing with you. I'm going to petition the Admins here for a safe space forum

So sorry

Cheers, and have a wonderful night

So unbelievably idiotic.

Yep.
You're obviously a very sensitive young man.

I apologize for disagreeing with you. I'm going to petition the Admins here for a safe space forum

So sorry

Cheers, and have a wonderful night

Your attempts at making digs only make you look that tad bit more pathetic. Keep going, to my pleasure.

I disagree.

You can get in to a world class American with brilliant achievements and a slightly subpar SAT.

But even a perfect SAT and good grades won't get you in to Harvard if you haven't got good achievements or a good essay.
very very few have brilliant achievements

Also, if you're, say, a a physics olympiad medalist, odds are you have a good SAT

Top American schools reject people with perfect SAT'S, but the people that do well on the SAT g have an admission rate far greater than those that do not

I think we both agree on that
Original post by Student403
I disagree.

You can get in to a world class American with brilliant achievements and a slightly subpar SAT.

But even a perfect SAT and good grades won't get you in to Harvard if you haven't got good achievements or a good essay.
very very few have brilliant achievements

Also, if you're, say, a a physics olympiad medalist, odds are you have a good SAT

Top American schools reject people with perfect SAT'S, but the people that do well on the SAT g have an admission rate far greater than those that do not

I think we both agree on that

A good SAT math score, sure. But I wouldn't say Crit R or Writing. Especially with internationals, you could be brilliant at physics and be a medalist but have the SAT stand in your way.

I agree with your second point.
Reply 16
Same here, for starters, the collegeboard (founders of SAT & AP) website is a great place for info. You can find out literally everything you need to know there.

I grew up with the american education system but did IGCSEs after 8th grade. Currently taking the May/June exams (CIE)

Well if you're thinking of going to an American college, a few things you could keep in mind are your high school courses, GPA, extra curricular activities, and selecting rigorous courses such as APs/ honours. I'm planning to take APs next year (11th grade/Year 12) As far as I know, most of them don't recognize IGCSE, you need A-levels as well (12 years of education) and yeah, of course it's different for each uni.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do. :smile:
Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest