Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

NHS Work Experience

Announcements Posted on
Last day to win £100 of Amazon vouchers - don't miss out! Take our quick survey to enter 24-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 12-10-2016

I am in S3 (age 15) and I want to pursue a career in Medicine. I contacted my local hospital with a request for work experience and they sent me back a form which said:
    "The applicant should be in a S5 or S6 at school if attending full time education, except students on authorized educational service approved schemes e.g. AWARE who will be in S3 and S4".
    What is AWARE? Will I need to wait until S5 to get work experience?

It is normal to have to wait until you are 16 or 17 to do clinical area work experience in a hospital due to health and safety concerns. If you are younger some hospitals will let you do work experience only within the administration departments, so you would be shadowing secretaries etc, but would not be allowed with doctors or nurses or near wards or patients.

In the meantime try looking for volunteering opportunities at care homes or work experience at GP practices (some care homes and GP practices will accept under 16s, but not all). Even if all you are doing is reading to the elderly it is good work experience for your personal statement.

Good afternoon,

Have you tried phoning/emailing back the hospital you applied to in order to ask them what they mean by AWARE? We've tried to look it up quickly online for you, but can't find anything relevant. It could just be a widening participation scheme that younger students get signed on to.

As you are only 15, have you tried contacting your local NHS board (See the list of regions NHS sites on the right hand side of that link) and asking what your options are for volunteering in a hospital/medical environment?

Definitely do this over the phone, so you get a direct response!

If you can't get any relevant medical-related work experience, have you tried researching into volunteering at charity shops, or retirement/care homes?

We hope this helps,
    The Medic Portal
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.