Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

From independent to state school

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hey all

I should start off by saying I don't live in the UK. I'm a British national/citizen but have lived for the past few years in South America where I go to a private and very much elitist school. Now, I don't mean to be snooty or arrogant, that's just simply the way it is. My classmates and I were lucky enough to be born into the richest 1% and have had a top-quality education throughout our lives.

However, my family has now decided to move back to London where I will be going to a sixth form to finish my studies. And even though my family has the resources to pay for an independent school, they seem reluctant to do so. I've therefore been applying throughout the past few months to a number of highly-achieving state schools mostly in central london.

I'm super excited to be coming back and that so many schools have already given me conditional offers, but I can't help but feel slightly uneasy about the schools I'm applying to. As I said, throughout my whole life I've been surrounded by wealthy kids from wealthy families and so suddenly changing to a school where most kids will be travelling over an hour to get to school, mostly come from disadvantaged families and have to apply for free school meals, kind of makes me feel a little uncomfortable and isolated. I really must stress that this is not because I'm snobbish or anything of the sort, but simply because I've never been around people from a different social class, I'm just not accustomed to it.

I wanted to ask for people's opinion on this. Do you think I'll be laughed at for being too posh? If you've gone through something similar please do comment. I hate sounding like a snob but this is annoyingly something which is lingering in my mind and which I'd like to have other people's opinion on.

My advice is don't go out of your way to flaunt your lifestyle and try be considerate Not everybody gets to fly in helicopters and sail around the world etc etc. State school kids are no difference to any independent schools apart from money. There isn't much of an intellect gap to be honest at all (Been to both). You will be fine! You may be surprised that you won't notice much difference :P
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.