The Student Room Group

chemical engineering application

I am wondering how can I make my application stand out for chemical engineering course in university?

I am studying AS maths,chemistry,physics,biology, Further maths l. My predicted graded are AAAAA.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi

I've moved this thread to our engineering sub-forum so that you can get advice from current engineering students.

Firstly, you'll need to achieve the best grades you can at AS, if you can get AAAAA that will put you in a very strong position. If it's possible, doing some relevant work experience this summer could help your application. You could also see if any local universities have open lectures etc that you can attend. Most people will also talk about a couple of books/articles in their personal statement, so if you haven't already, you'll need to start doing some extra reading.
Reply 2
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hi

I've moved this thread to our engineering sub-forum so that you can get advice from current engineering students.

Firstly, you'll need to achieve the best grades you can at AS, if you can get AAAAA that will put you in a very strong position. If it's possible, doing some relevant work experience this summer could help your application. You could also see if any local universities have open lectures etc that you can attend. Most people will also talk about a couple of books/articles in their personal statement, so if you haven't already, you'll need to start doing some extra reading.

Where can i find some relative books/articles?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alesha98
Where can i find some relative books/articles?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully some engineering students will make some suggestions on this thread, or you could try asking your physics or chemistry teacher if there is anything they can recommend.
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Hopefully some engineering students will make some suggestions on this thread, or you could try asking your physics or chemistry teacher if there is anything they can recommend.

I have asked them already, but they suggested me to do some research because they are not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I have asked them already, but they suggested me to do some research because they are not sure

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are there any chemical engineering books recommendation for me ?
Reply 6
Are there any chemical engineering books recommendation for me ?

Cambridge says:
http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergraduates/prospective-students/frequently-asked-questions#qn19

Is there any background reading that you recommend before applying for the course?
It's a good thing to be interested in science and technology, and so reading relevant books and magazines that aimed at the general public can be helpful to an application.
There are few books that are specifically on chemical engineering that are at the appropriate level for prospective applicants. Probably the most suitable is K. A. Solen and J. N. Harb (2010) "Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow" (Wiley, ISBN 9780470885727). This book describes the discipline and gives examples of the different types of calculations that are performed by chemical engineers. It is reasonably easy to understand. Don't be put off by the old-fashioned American units used throughout.
Reply 7
Original post by jneill
Cambridge says:
http://www.ceb.cam.ac.uk/undergraduates/prospective-students/frequently-asked-questions#qn19

Is there any background reading that you recommend before applying for the course?
It's a good thing to be interested in science and technology, and so reading relevant books and magazines that aimed at the general public can be helpful to an application.
There are few books that are specifically on chemical engineering that are at the appropriate level for prospective applicants. Probably the most suitable is K. A. Solen and J. N. Harb (2010) "Introduction to Chemical Engineering: tools for today and tomorrow" (Wiley, ISBN 9780470885727). This book describes the discipline and gives examples of the different types of calculations that are performed by chemical engineers. It is reasonably easy to understand. Don't be put off by the old-fashioned American units used throughout.

Thankyou so much
Reply 8
Thankyou so much

Tbh, even New Scientist and watching some YouTube stuff can be enough. Just do things that naturally interest you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey there!

So I know this is much later after this thread was first published, but I have made a video for the best books to read for a ChemEng personal statement (https://youtu.be/eporH5Gw1_8) and I hope this helps anyone who still has this question!

Best,

ChemEngWeekly

Quick Reply

Latest