The Student Room Group

Mattress Sizes?

Hey guys! So I'm an American going to study in London. My mom started buying me uni stuff and asked me about bed sizes. I don't know how different the mattress system is different from here to the UK. Typical dorm bed sizes in the US are Twin XL (99.06cm-203.2cm). So what is it in the UK?
Reply 1
Single. You'll have to look it up, but about 6' by 3'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Twin XL? :O

That would be amazing haha

I reckon it is either Single or King Single (which is like a long version of the Single)
Original post by Pan's_Lost_Girl
Hey guys! So I'm an American going to study in London. My mom started buying me uni stuff and asked me about bed sizes. I don't know how different the mattress system is different from here to the UK. Typical dorm bed sizes in the US are Twin XL (99.06cm-203.2cm). So what is it in the UK?

The website the school has for each type of accommodation might mention which size mattress you'll have. I'm American and heading for the UK too. You should just wait to buy your sheets until you get over there. Don't want to use your suitcase space on sheets!
It can really vary, so if I were you I would wait until you know exactly what accommodation you'll be living in, and then ask about the specific bed sizes in that accommodation. Here's a rough guide to UK mattress sizes generally - beds in student accommodation would almost always be the smaller ones! (I have known student accommodation with custom mattress sizes, though, so what you end up with may be different again). I would also think carefully about whether it would make more sense to just buy stuff when you get here - it saves carting it halfway round the world, and if the mattress sizes are very different then it may be easier to get stuff that would fit in the UK anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending