Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

contract law-liquidated damages

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

Imagine if I am a journalist and I need to update 4 articles about restaurants, so the newspaper I work for gives me 100 pounds to try out as much restaurants as I can. I manage to write 3 of those articles and send them but the last one Im unable to write because I'm ill. The day after the deadline I receive an email from the newspaper telling me that the contract is terminated and that I have to give back the 100 pounds because there was a clause in the contract which stated:

In the event that the newspaper terminates this contract for failure by the journalist to complete it, all sums due to him shall be forfeited.

As I wrote three articles I want to be paid for the them (must note that in the contract they tell me that for three articles I should be paid £300 out of £400 if I had wrote the last one, there were deadlines for each one of the articles but the newspaper would only give the total amount when I completed all of them).
    Is it possible?
    Does the newspaper has the right to have my money back or is the clause a penalty?

Thank you for helping a very confused student!!

Just go and read the cases on liquidated damages. Dunlop is a good starting point. You need to consider when such a clause is a penalty and therefore void and when it is valid. You then need to apply the fact to the law.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.