The Student Room Group

How would you rate the education you have received?

Scroll to see replies

Primary:Good
Secondary:colone:xtremely Poor
Sixth form:biggrin:ecent
Comp primary school: Best around
Private secondary: brilliant
private sixth form: brilliant
LSE: Brilliant
Primary Education: Poor
Secondary Education: OK
Sixth Form: Poor
Reply 23
Primary: Pretty good from what I remember. Went to one of the better local schools.

Secondary: Poor. Rampant bullying, some terrible teachers. Some were good though. Bad decisions (girl-boy segregation in science classes, some crazy set decisions (why was I in bottom set for a year??)). The local schools were consolidated into a single large school. The catchment area included a lot of the estates, as a result there were a lot of thugs.

Sixth Form: Mixed. Some very good (Maths and sciences, though Biology struggled a little). Some terrible. No teachers for Further Maths (thus no one in my school could do a maths degree, effectively). Unqualified teachers. Head of Sixth-form had personal troubles and was away a lot (and did history, which was a complete mess. Let's just take the issue to the... oh... yeah, she's the head of sixth form).

Uni: Pretty good! Some lecturers had strong accents and some were dull as hell, but in general they were good. The department had decent resources and lab was good.

Glad to get out of education though. The schools I went to was in a pretty deprived area and often I didn't feel teachers were qualified (especially in the more complex subjects in sixth-form) didn't offer much beyond the basics, didn't prepare us well for Uni (there was an outreach get-the-poor-kids to oxford that the "high-achievers" were invited to. No way any of us would have gotten in. For one, I didn't have a language so that struck me off at first glance, not that they told us that).

Uni was much better, but I was fed up of learning by then.

I've used my education little directly. I am now employed in a field where I'm self-taught, though it's been useful getting me here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary- good
Secondary- V. Poor. Awful science department, appalling marking (coursework grade lowered most years). Students run havoc in the lab everyday. Ofsted called it 'poor' due to 'bad leadership'.
Sixth form- Okay. Ofsted said its 'Outstanding' . Which it is a pretty good school with emphasis on discipline. However weakest part of the school is science once again. Biology- okay. Chemistry- good. Physics- absolutly disgusting. Only One physics teacher in entire school that doesn't know a single thing :redface:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary School: Very good. Cant complaon about that

Secondary School: Poor. We got taught the wrong stuff for our GCSE's so we had to go and learn it ourselves. The teachets just moaned at us all the time about our exams and how close they were a year and a half away! They took an absolute age to get here!!

College: Total ********!! I dont think it could get any worse. The teachers dont give a ****. They havent taught is anything this year yet (no joke)!!!
Not impressed!!
Original post by somemightsay888
Primary: Good
Secondary: Good up till Year 11, 6th form was very subpar with teachers who straight up admit they have no clue about their course and told me to "hope it doesn't come up"
University: Good for everything bar the qualitative subjects, the lecturers are so dull smh

Haven't posted for ages :hmmm:
Original post by Ethereal World
Haven't posted for ages :hmmm:

:topic:
Primary: Good
College (french secondary school): not that good, to be honest
High school: Very Good
Uni: it's been okay so far! hopefully it'll be better in second year
Primary: It was okay-ish
Secondary- Terrible
Sixth form- A mixture of terrible and okay but generally terrible.
Primary-High School: Appalling. Wouldn't wish this on anyone. I think I had one interested inspired teacher in 11 years of education. I went to a failing school, in a rural area, with people who didn't give a ****. I wish more than anything my parents had moved to a different area so I could have actually learnt something.

College: At the age of 16 I rented the spare room of a family from mon-fri so I could go to a decent college. Loved it, so so much. It was so nice to actually be taught by people who cared, and have friends who actually liked education and school.

Uni: Exeter and Cambridge. Loved them both.
Primary: Excellent. It had a wide curriculum and even had mock GCSE exams from Year 3 to Year 8. :yy:

Secondary: Good. Honestly, quite average. They just stuck to the syllabus.

University: Excellent. The course content is quite varied and I still use a lot of the theories we learned in my actual job, which is pretty exciting. :smile:
Primary School - Poor (on the brink of being very poor)
Secondary School (current stage) - OK (But it's not the best. It varies between teachers)
Reply 33
primary: quite good honestly but i was really dumb back then

secondary: absolute load of ****, idk how my school hasnt shut down yet it's so bad and unprofessional i hate it so much. The quality of teaching is disgraceful and students are neglected for 'more important' kids (kids who mess about, truant, and are thus behind on everything). You aren't rewarded for doing anything good, in fact, due to the crap, bone-idle, limited number of staff, the misbehaved receive more help and teaching. If you can't defend yourself and/or are a big and scary person, you're screwed in the school. Full scale fights often go unpunished, and bullying is rarely punished. So many poor kids are bullied in my hell of a school it's such a rotten environment to be in. Many of the staff know that students smoke cigs and weed and they do nothing about it - some actually say stuff like 'give us a cig and i wont tell anyone'. The teacher's marking is sporadic and there's no indication of what grade you're on. I had 7-8 main subject teachers leave half way through this year. Completely screwed me over bc we had supplies for the next 2 weeks. We didn't get taught the Chem syllabus because they hired a chem teacher like 3 months ago (should be revising at home fair enough but Chem was the lesson where we had no teacher and just chilled). Ugh. Rant over :biggrin:

SIXTH FORM: im leaving at the end of this year so lets hope the school i get into isn't a load of shitte.
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary education (international private schools): moved around 5 times to different countries, year group had upwards of 50-60 nationalities represented (a total of 60 people in each year), travelled to different historical locations sponsored by the schools, adventure excursions every year, learnt about medieval and modern history, entered chess competitions, developed plays, did research projects about space travel, grilled us on maths to make sure we were all top notch, learnt 3 languages, explored various cultures by just speaking to classmates

In short: 500/10.

Secondary School (dad passed away, moved to a scottish state school): Classes were disrupted, teachers paid more attention to problem children and not enough on those who were there to learn, 70%+ left at the age of 16 to do work/apprenticeships, class sizes were massive at the beginning when everyone was there but lowered when the vocationally focused students left, less homework, no fulfilling school organised projects, got taught towards an exam not for the sake of learning, developed more independence as teachers weren't supportive at all, most kids didn't care about school - saw it as a means to an end, there wasn't a focus on experiential learning; just learning from a book or by copying the board

Overall: 4-5/10

Self-teaching: independence, learning how to be resourceful with information, freedom to explore things however I like. However, it's lonely. I haven't been out a lot or done a lot of social activities in months.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary- excellent. The best years of my life.
Secondary- pretty poor, but one or two teachers were great.
Sixth form- again excellent.
University- fantastic.

Overall excellent.
Good enough that I don't fail horrendously

But bad enough to force me to work for myself to achieve highly.

Not a great education, but I think it's worked out the best. I'd be lazy if I had brilliant teachers, and I'd be a failure if I had awful teachers.
Primary school (state-run)
Not very good at all. It was inadequately staffed and funded. The teachers focused too much on the kids that misbehaved and never stretched any intelligent students like me with any enrichment work or anything. It wasn't challenging and I was forced to do the same boring work as everyone else. There were no extracurricular activities at all offered by the school except for a reading club and a running club. The only good thing was that it was near my house.

Secondary school (selective state-run school)
Excellent. The best education I could ever have hoped for. Everyone in the school is just as intelligent or more intelligent than me and the highly competitive nature challenged me and encouraged me to strive to be the best.
Since its in London, there is so much cultural diversity- students of about 15 nationalities are in my year alone (and from all the continents except Antarctica) and everyone has different but well-developed political and social opinions because the school encourages us to read widely and appreciate the wider world.
Teachers taught us eveything on the syllabus and gave everyone extension work so that we can truly appreciate our subjects. Every department is amazing here and every teacher cares about everyone's progress. I can say that I would never have imagined getting the grades I got at GCSE if I went to a normal school. The school has very good extracurricular activities and enabled me to become more confident and gain soft skills as well as academic excellence. The amount of opportunities, both for academic enrichment and extracurricular, is top notch.
(edited 8 years ago)
Primary: Poor
Secondary 1: Very poor
Secondary 2: Very poor
Secondary 3: OK-Good
College: Very good
University: Excellent
(edited 8 years ago)
Absolutely brilliant, if you ask the teachers they'll help you with anything, even if you ask them the same question like 50 times >.> like me

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending