The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

Scroll to see replies

There has just been anew article on the PACE trial scandal published, and it mentions the way that the researchers are running from their critics:

Levin, Davis, Racaniello, and I are currently seeking additional PACE trial data under the U.K.’s freedom of information law. Queen Mary University of London turned down our request, and we have appealed. Meanwhile, the PACE principal investigators White, Sharpe and Chalder did not answer multiple email requests seeking comment for this article. Neither did Richard Horton, editor of The Lancet.

http://undark.org/article/chronic-fatigue-graded-exercise-pace/

Tuller also mentions how, along with others, he thinks that PACE could be a valuable example scientific wrongdoing:

As it stands, the direct cause, or causes, of ME/CFS remain largely unknown, and there is no definitive treatment. But as I investigated the PACE trial with its promotion of exercise and increased activity as the path to “recovery” from the disorder I came to view it as a powerful case study of scientific wrongdoing. Thanks to the incisive analyses of some very smart patients and advocates, I gradually understood how deeply flawed it was and how much harm it was causing. I knew it needed to be publicly and authoritatively discredited.

Is QMUL learning lessons from all of this? Or is it continuing to try to pretend that there is no problem here, so the same mistakes can go on being made over and over again?

It is important that poor research practices are not taught to students as an acceptable part of modern medical research. Reading the PhD thesis of some students raises concern that they are being indoctrinated into quackery, rather than genuinely educated.
(edited 7 years ago)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
When i apply for medicine i'll be 17 by the time i start the course. Am i to young to do medicine at Barts and london?
Hi there!

Just a quick question.
Which uni is a good choice do you think for PhD in Applied linguistics, Queen Mary(4 years)or Essex(3 years)?!

Many thanks,
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Failingstudent98
What do you think are the pros and cons of being a student at QMUL overall and particularly for the medicine course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

Thanks for the great question and sorry for the delay in getting back to you!

Some of the best aspects of being a student at QMUL relate to it's great location. Barts and The London has two main campuses with accommodation, one in Whitechapel and one at Charterhouse Square in Barbican. It's an amazing opportunity to be able to live and be a student in such a vibrant part of London. Other great things about Barts & The London are a very active student union, a really friendly and supportive learning environment, great resources and some very inspirational teachers!

As for cons, it's hard to say. The cost of living in London is the biggest concern for incoming students but this is very manageable in my experience. There are lots of ways to make living in London affordable such as cycling, budgeting affectively and maybe even part time work!

Please let me know if you have any more questions!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by PrincessBO$$
When i apply for medicine i'll be 17 by the time i start the course. Am i to young to do medicine at Barts and london?

Hi there,

Here's an exert from the admissions policy with regards to minimum age: 'All students must be at least 18 years old at the start of the course'. Sorry about this but please apply next year instead!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by JustLinguistics
Hi there!

Just a quick question.
Which uni is a good choice do you think for PhD in Applied linguistics, Queen Mary(4 years)or Essex(3 years)?!

Many thanks,

Hi there,

I wish I knew about Applied Linguistics but this is a thread about Undergraduate Medicine. I'll have a shot in the dark and say QMUL is the best :tongue:

Barts love,
Will
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Queen Mary University of London
Hi there,

I wish I knew about Applied Linguistics but this is a thread about Undergraduate Medicine. I'll have a shot in the dark and say QMUL is the best.

Barts love,
Will

Hi does the AS grade have an impact ?
Hey is it pretty much 9-5 everyday? Also I've heard there are lots of different locations so do you have to travel between different locations everyday for lectures and tutorials? Which locations do med/dent students spend time in? (Could you list all the locations and what they all are for) Are lecturers good at explaining things? Finally how much of your final mark is based on the final exam at the end of the year? Sorry for all the questions but I'm an international applicant and haven't been able to visit the uni.

Also someone mentioned interprofessional learning. Do you have leactures with students on different courses like dentistry or pharmacy all the time?
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! My name is Will and I am currently a third year undergraduate medical student at QMUL's medical school, Barts and The London.

This thread is your opportunity to ask a current Barts student (me) about either the undergraduate or postgraduate courses at QMUL. Feel free to ask me about any aspect of the Medicine course including the curriculum, teaching methods and locations, clinical teaching or extra-curricular activities like sports teams and academic societies. I can also give you the latest on either of our medical school campuses including accommodation and facilities.

Barts love,
Will

Hey is it pretty much 9-5 everyday? Also I've heard there are lots of different locations so do you have to travel between different locations everyday for lectures and tutorials? Which locations do med/dent students spend time in? (Could you list all the locations and what they all are for) Are lecturers good at explaining things? Finally how much of your final mark is based on the final exam at the end of the year? Sorry for all the questions but I'm an international applicant and haven't been able to visit the uni.

Also someone mentioned interprofessional learning. Do you have leactures with students on different courses like dentistry or pharmacy all the time?
Original post by nisha.sri
Hi does the AS grade have an impact ?

Hi there,

Given the new A-level system, it will vary depending on when you took your A-levels. Have a read of all of the entry requirements here: http://www.smd.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/A100/index.html

Barts love,
Will
@Queen Mary University of London

Aside from being up to date with medical news/developments and knowing your personal statement well, is there anything you would recommend for preparing for interviews?

Thanks
Original post by sciencekid

Hi there, thanks for all the great questions!

Is it 9-5 every day? No - thankfully! In your first two years lectures, PBLs and practical sessions will be spaced throughout the day but not all days are 9-5. everyone gets Wednesday off! When you get beyond 2nd year, you're on placements all day so it's pretty much 9-5 apart from Wednesday.

There are 3 different campuses: one in West Smithfield, one in Whitechapel and the QMUL Campus in Mile End. These aren't vary far apart and most of your time in pre-clinical years is spent in Whitechapel so there isn't too much travelling about. Both the West Smithfield and Whitechapel campuses are for Medicine, Dentistry and some other medical related BSc teaching. Whitechapel contains the Perrin lecture theatre for most of your pre-clinical lectures, the Garrod Building for PBL and one of the halls of residence, Floyer House. West Smithfield is the site of Barts Hospital and is just around the corner for Charterhouse Square which contains one of the Halls of residence, Dawson Hall as well as some research institutions.

Overall, lecturers at Barts & The London are fantastic. There are a handful of regular lecturers who give most of the basic science lectures and these are very good. If you have any issues with content you don't understand, it's very easy to contact the lecturer for clarification.

So for the 'final mark', I assume you are referring to ranking which is what contributes to FPAS, the system used to rank medical students around the country when allocating foundation (junior doctor) jobs. This is actually quite a complicated system as there are multiple 'papers', each of which contains different assessments throughout the course. Only one of these papers contains the end of year exams and others contain aspects such as student selected components (SSC) and in course assessments (ICAs). More information on the FPAS can be found here: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students

As for your final question, I don't think we have any lectures with non-medicine students.

I hope this helps!

Barts love,
Will
Original post by JustLinguistics
Hi there!

Just a quick question.

Many thanks,

Queen Mary
Original post by HopelessMedic
@Queen Mary University of London

Aside from being up to date with medical news/developments and knowing your personal statement well, is there anything you would recommend for preparing for interviews?

Thanks

Hi there, that's a great question.

The interviewers at Barts don't expect you to be a scientist yet. They want to know you can become a good doctor. I recommend that you have something prepared to talk about which you have a genuine interest in and then find a way to talk about it. Whether this is an aspect of medicine or science or another academic interest, it will give you the opportunity to display enthusiasm - a trait that goes a very long way in Medicine. The interviews are quite relaxed in comparison to other medical schools so you should use this to your advantage. Don't be boring.

Best of luck and hopefully we'll see you in September!

Barts love,
Will
Hi there, thanks for all the great questions!

Is it 9-5 every day? No - thankfully! In your first two years lectures, PBLs and practical sessions will be spaced throughout the day but not all days are 9-5. everyone gets Wednesday off! When you get beyond 2nd year, you're on placements all day so it's pretty much 9-5 apart from Wednesday.

There are 3 different campuses: one in West Smithfield, one in Whitechapel and the QMUL Campus in Mile End. These aren't vary far apart and most of your time in pre-clinical years is spent in Whitechapel so there isn't too much travelling about. Both the West Smithfield and Whitechapel campuses are for Medicine, Dentistry and some other medical related BSc teaching. Whitechapel contains the Perrin lecture theatre for most of your pre-clinical lectures, the Garrod Building for PBL and one of the halls of residence, Floyer House. West Smithfield is the site of Barts Hospital and is just around the corner for Charterhouse Square which contains one of the Halls of residence, Dawson Hall as well as some research institutions.

Overall, lecturers at Barts & The London are fantastic. There are a handful of regular lecturers who give most of the basic science lectures and these are very good. If you have any issues with content you don't understand, it's very easy to contact the lecturer for clarification.

So for the 'final mark', I assume you are referring to ranking which is what contributes to FPAS, the system used to rank medical students around the country when allocating foundation (junior doctor) jobs. This is actually quite a complicated system as there are multiple 'papers', each of which contains different assessments throughout the course. Only one of these papers contains the end of year exams and others contain aspects such as student selected components (SSC) and in course assessments (ICAs). More information on the FPAS can be found here: http://www.foundationprogramme.nhs.uk/pages/medical-students

As for your final question, I don't think we have any lectures with non-medicine students.

I hope this helps!

Barts love,
Will

Wow thank you so much for the in-depth response. How are modules assessed? And are there exams in jan for sem 1 and in june for sem 2? Or are all 8 modules exams at the end of the year? Are assignments and essays part of your module mark or is it just the exam?
Hi, anyone have any idea on how the UCAS tariff for an international applicant who doesn't take the same format of A levels (I'm from Singapore if anyone is wondering) is calculated? I have a pretty decent (amazing, if I may say so myself, and utterly unexpected) score of 820 for UKCAT (770/900/790, STJ Band 2) but have absolutely zero idea about my chances with QMUL since I can't calculate UCAS tariff points. :frown: Other unis I've applied to are Bristol, King's and Nottingham- it appears that my UKCAT score will greatly help me in getting an interview for the latter 2. Haven't heard from any schools but I think that's mostly owing to the fact that I'm an international applicant.

QMUL is my most favorable choice (Bristol is 1st, but I doubt my application will be successful due to the extremely high weightage on PS so QMUL is my top realistic choice) so I really hope to be accepted.

If needed, my predicted grades are AAA for Bio, Chem, Math... but as aforementioned, I take a different format of A Levels so A is the highest grade I can attain and not A*. I also take a higher level (H3) for Chemistry, but I don't think it's taken into account.
Hi there, that's a great question.

The interviewers at Barts don't expect you to be a scientist yet. They want to know you can become a good doctor. I recommend that you have something prepared to talk about which you have a genuine interest in and then find a way to talk about it. Whether this is an aspect of medicine or science or another academic interest, it will give you the opportunity to display enthusiasm - a trait that goes a very long way in Medicine. The interviews are quite relaxed in comparison to other medical schools so you should use this to your advantage. Don't be boring.

Best of luck and hopefully we'll see you in September!

Barts love,
Will

It would be good if some quizzed them on the PACE trial scandal: http://www.thecanary.co/2016/10/02/results-really-didnt-want-see-key-mecfs-trial-data-released/

Those working in medicine should be willing to speak out on the mistreatment of patients and the misrepresentation of research. There do seem to be ethical problems at QMUL that many at the institution seem willing to ignore.
Reply 297
what were your stats if you don't mind me asking? GCSEs, AS, Predictions, UKCAT average score
when and how was the interview?
Hey!
In the first couple of years of Medicine at Barts, how much of the course is lecture based and how much is clinical? Also are the lectures recorded and put on a portal or something? I know that a few other schools do that but I wasn't sure about Barts.
Thanks!
Original post by sciencekid
Wow thank you so much for the in-depth response. How are modules assessed? And are there exams in jan for sem 1 and in june for sem 2? Or are all 8 modules exams at the end of the year? Are assignments and essays part of your module mark or is it just the exam?

Hi again,

No problem. You'll have to forgive my delayed responses at the moment, I'm revising for an exam!

So there are 3 modules per year. In first year these are Fundamentals of Medicine (FunMed), CrMetLoco (cardiorespiratory, metabolism and locomotor) and BBHD (brain and behaviour and human development). Each is assessed with an in course assessment (ICA) at the end of each module, lasting roughly 12 weeks. These exams are at the end of each term (more or less). Then there is series of end of year exams which consist of content from the whole year. The grade you get from the ICA is a stand alone mark. Grades from other assessments (e.g. PBL write ups and essays) are marked separately.

Let me know if you've got any more questions!

Barts love,
Will

Latest

Trending

Trending