Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

A Level study spaces/libraries?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

Hello! I live in London, and in the final months before exams, I've been looking for a quiet area to study. I find actually travelling somewhere makes study sessions feel more deliberate and boosts my productivity a lot. So, I've been on the look out for a good, cosy-atmosphered, A-level-friendly library around London.

I've tried many but all have their catches. The British library requires a long registration process that's targeted towards uni students. Many libraries don't allow bags or pens to be brought in. Many are noisy or filled with families. Many are fine but not very aesthetically pleasing (important to me). There seems to be nowhere targeted towards the younger 17+ student age range.

In the discovery of this apparent gap in the market, I've been considering quite seriously about setting up a kind of library, book-y coffee shop in London at some point in the future. It would be fairly large but be cosy, would have all the relevant textbooks and plenty of other books available, and plenty of desks with power sockets and wifi. Plus there would a plethora of homemade revision snacks and drinks on sale. It would be suitably spacious but rustic and friendly and have a kind of Shoreditch-y vibe to it (I am aware of how pretentious this sounds but that was the only way I could think to describe my vision). But you know, rugs & tea-stained wooden tables kind of look.

My question is: what do you think? Does anyone know of anywhere like this that already exists in London. Would you find use in somewhere like this? Would you consider paying a monthly or yearly fee for access to somewhere like this, and if so how much? Any ideas, advice or tips?

Thanks v much

(Original post by EllaWelly)
    I thought barely anyone recognised this issue. It's so annoying because sixth form/college students are not allowed in the "good" libraries.

What do you think?
    I think it's a great idea, I wouldn't be surprised if this potential business becomes successful fast. I've acknowledged this gap, but I thought most students prefer to study at their local library/college/home.

Does anyone know of anywhere like this that already exists in London.
    Nope, haven't heard of a place like that.

Would you find use in somewhere like this?
    Yes! I would love to have an environment like that, it would motivate me to work.

Would you consider paying a monthly or yearly fee for access to somewhere like this, and if so how much?
    Well of course there needs to be a payment made. Not sure how much as you need to look at potential competitors price and adjust your pricing mechanism to it. It would be best if the fee could be as cheap as possible as most A-Level students aren't earning.

Any ideas, advice or tips?
    • There needs to be wide range of snacks, different types of hot drinks, students love food. It would be a great way to make money as it would be paid on top of the fee to access the study area.
    • It needs to be located in a convenient location.
    • There could be red zone - no talking allowed, yellow zone - group work and whispering allowed and a green zone which is to chat in
    My head is exploding with ideas. :ahee:

Question: Are you actually considering to set this up? :curious:
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful revision links

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.