The Student Room Group

Does the university matter for games design?

First of all id like to say im sorry if this is the wrong place but media seemed like the only place i could talk about video games.

Im gonna end up with an MMM or a DMM for my college Btec course and was thinking about which university ill go. Ive applied to bedfordshire and middlesex which aren't the best uni's. However the courses sounded good to me.

Video games courses are so new that i wouldnt really know a good one from a bad one so i was wondering if the univerity you go to factors into the job you want? I know its more about your portfolio for jobs in the gaming industry but how does a better university apply to that. I personally dont think a degree is even that important for this specific job but am going through with it for the sake of what others are saying when they do also have a point.
Yes and no.

A course sounding good is different from actually living up to expectations. If you are never going to apply for any other sort of job, then the uni matters to the extent of its reputation within the industry. Check what contacts it has and how many people get jobs plus where. Experience is very important.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Yes and no.

A course sounding good is different from actually living up to expectations. If you are never going to apply for any other sort of job, then the uni matters to the extent of its reputation within the industry. Check what contacts it has and how many people get jobs plus where. Experience is very important.

See thats the point, there was one university that seemed to have good connections to the industry but the uni didn't have a good ranking. Its really hard to find good courses for me.
Original post by kbg12ila
See thats the point, there was one university that seemed to have good connections to the industry but the uni didn't have a good ranking. Its really hard to find good courses for me.

Your not getting what Im saying. figure out whats important academics or for your degree to be useful. You cna only know by doing proper research and finding out where the students go plus what they do. there are obviously som courses better thna others and you just have to find out which ones are available to you depending on grades.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Your not getting what Im saying. figure out whats important academics or for your degree to be useful. You cna only know by doing proper research and finding out where the students go plus what they do. there are obviously som courses better thna others and you just have to find out which ones are available to you depending on grades.

Oh I understand... Im gonna do the research and find a degree that i will get the most out of, one that builds my portfolio to be something that employers will want and to have gained enough skills. Thank you.
My personal choice was Sheffield Hallam for games design for a wide range of reasons generally. I won't try and give you a sales pitch as everyone is different and will want to choose a course for different reasons.

However, I split my choice into certain categories when choosing and accepting my offer.

- Industry links
- work placement opportunities
- potential to work with other professions (such as programming students)
- lifestyle
- accommodation
- cost
- area employment opportunities

Generally it is hard to say what course is right or wrong, but generally if you grade each one against at least some of the things listed above it should make some more logical sense. (it did for me anyway :smile:)
Above all, make sure you like the course content! the university provides an environment for you to push yourself and succeed, this does not mean they will hand a job to you on a platter. No matter what University you choose the last 4 of the list can be the most important to succeeding. No point in choosing an amazing course at a university that does not feel right or provide a good experience. chances are you won't finish it or succeed.

I hope this helps some.

- Joe

Quick Reply

Latest