Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student Finance Wales FAQ

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
    • Thread Starter

    What do Welsh students receive for tuition fees?
    All welsh students receive a grant of £5100, therefore you then are able to take a loan of £3810 to cover the rest of your tuition fees. This includes welsh students studying at english universities.
    These are not based on household income.

    Are private university courses eligible for the tuition fee grant?
    No they are not, however you will be eligible for a loan of up to £6000.

    What funding can for maintenance can welsh students apply for?
    Welsh students can apply for both maintenance grants based on either household income (the welsh government learning grant) or on circumstances such as having children, a disability or being eligible for certain benefits (the student support grant) and maintenance loans of up to £5376 (non-london) and £7532 (living in london) these are based on household income and can be reduced proportionally if you receive the welsh government learning grant.

    Who is eligible for the welsh government learning grant?
    To be eligible for the welsh government learning grant, you must have a household income of below £50020 and to receive the maximum grant of £5161 your household income must be below £18370 (and not meet the eligibility criteria for the special support grant) .

    Who is eligible for the special support grant?
    Single parents
    Students who have children and whose partner is also a student.
    Students with disabilities who qualify for the disability or severe disability premium or income related ESA or PIP/DLA.
    Students who are deaf and get DSA.
    Students who are eligible for housing benefit.
    Students over 60 years old.

    My course is longer than normal, am I eligible for extra funding?
    Yes, students can receive up to £93 extra loan per week for courses that are longer than 30 weeks.

    Paying loans back:
    Student finance wales offer a partial loan cancellation for when you begin paying it back, for example if you have a £2000 maintenance loan you can have up to £1500 of that debt cancelled depending on the amount of your first payment. For more info see here http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._1617_en_d.pdf
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.