Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

English paper

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016
REMINDER: Do not post your personal statement on TSR, otherwise you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Click here for more info. 11-10-2016

Hey!! I'm doing AS Level English 9093, the paper 1 is in about 2 weeks! So could you please help me with any tips on how to write a commentary? Any trick you've learnt or anything you feel would be useful. Also, if you could send me a few good candidate responses, it would be quite helpful!

I assume you are referring to the commentary on the re creative writing piece you have to do in the exam (as that is what we're doing in my course too) and my advice to you would be to almost plan out your commentary before you've even written the piece; if you know you can easily explain the effects of onomatopoeia, for example, then make sure you include it in your wirting, as it wil make your commentary a hell of a lot easier to write!
    I'm not sure if this will be of much help to you, but my teacher told us that once we've written our re creative writing piece, to then pretend it's not our own and that it is simply a sample text that has been given to you to annotate, as you then might find it easier to explain the effects it holds.
    I wish you the best of luck for your exam, and I'll go see if I can find any candidate responses that will be of use to you!

This is the only student response I was able to find, and I'm afraid the examiner report that followed showed some areas of improvement, but I'd say this is a good bases to go off of. The main points in the examiner report was that the effects needed to be further explored and developed, and the effects of genre and mode affected the choice of language in the piece, but I hope this with be of at least a little bit of help:

"My focus for this piece was to accentuate the idyllic feel of the café’s location in the centre of the city. To do this, I employed a tricolon of abstract nouns “culture, beauty and of course, romance” which, although perhaps clichéd, worked well to epitomise Paris and enchant the reader to come to Café Danton where these three things were so readily available to witness.

The alliteration of “l” allows a more languid, romantic image of the café’s location: “laudable labyrinth”. The stimulus portrayed the walking in Paris negatively so in order to make it positive I chose to turn the long walks into an appreciation of Paris’ intricacy.

In order to appeal more to the reader, I chose to write in the second person and direct my writing specifically to my audience. This hopefully creates a sense of empathy “your undoubtedly aching feet…you won’t be alone either” which would cause the reader to feel that we understood them and could supply them with exactly what they needed; therefore gaining customers for the Café.

Finally, listing the range of people in Paris - and found in our café - was a technique used to intrigue the audience, but also to build a sense of community. Whether the reader was a student there “to admire the art in the Louvre” or a mother with her family wanting to “climb the Eiffel Tower”, I tried to incorporate anyone who might be reading the advertisement and, as such, would hopefully make them feel a part of Paris."
    (From the AQA exam board)
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 18, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.