The Student Room Group

Advice Please- Unsure about a degree in phisics

Hi there

I would appreciate very much if any forum members could help/ advise me on my upcoming study plans.My intention is to study the Bsc in Physics with the Open University later this year. Although I feel strongly that this is the right thing for me to do I'm somewhat overwhelmed with the enormity of the task ahead.

I should preface by giving a little background about me.I'm almost 26 years old.I haven't formally studied since my GCSE's in 2006. Out of the few qualifications I gained at GCSE, only two are worth mentioning, C English, C science. Otherwise D's and E's.

I'm saddened to say that these poor grades were really due to a complete misplacement of my priorities at the time and little care in their outcome. I barely attended lessons and did no revision. (Looking at it like that the two C grades aren't all that bad haha)

After a couple of years working in a trade, circumstances forced a career changed and I decided to start a small cleaning business. Seven or so years on and the business has me living a fairly comfortable life but for the last five or so years I've found my fascination with the sciences taking up all my free time, even down to filling my working hours with podcasts and lectures.

So that brings me to today. I decided 6 weeks ago that with the passion I have for science I should strive to make it my career. Now the problem is, I feel so overwhelmed by the mountain I have to climb. I can't help but question, is it the right decision? am I even smart enough?

I apologise for the long first post but I really could use some help

Thanks in advance
Dave

PS, I've also started by getting a head start with khan Academy in the hope that brushing up on my maths skills will better prepare me.

Scroll to see replies

I can relate to what you have written (excluding the same name), Im in my late twenties now and finishing my BSc Physics with OU this year.

You sound pretty down about academic grades! Looking back I think I was when I was started the pursuit of the degree because I was working in pretty miserable warehouses for most of my early twenties and through my studies. Its quite a tall task studying with OU and working especially with a challenging subject like Physics, and I've seriously thought about throwing in the towel on soooo many occasions because its an uphill struggle. But I am now getting good career options.

Open University level 1 will 'ease' you into the subject, the maths and science literally start at day 1 of GCSE and go just beyond Alevel standard. School teachers are inadequate compared to OU level 1 books, specifically the MST124 and MST124 maths modules (you need MST124 for physics pathway). They are really well written and Open University clearly spent a great deal of time and money ensuring they are suitable for all levels. They will ramp your knowledge up at a good pace so everyone starts level 2 with the same knowledge.

Khan Academy is brilliant for maths but for physics there are better... These are the ones that helped me... (but some of these subjects will not be talked about in the OU degree pathway until year 2 (level 2 modules)). I have others for more advanced studies

https://www.youtube.com/user/lasseviren1/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/ilectureonline/playlists

Physics podcasts I listen to for inspiration....

http://titaniumphysicists.brachiolopemedia.com
http://www.startalkradio.net
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/astronomy/space-boffins/

Online physics courses at Coursera.org (honestly, these are a must for self studying like OU).

The best physics book I ever bought, which gave me a strong base is....

"University Physics - with modern Physics" by Young and Freeman

I used this book rather than OU book level 2 books on so many occasions. OU would introduce a new topic and I would go straight to this book to learn from because its awesome, then I just skim over the OU stuff to make sure nothing was missed. Get the 14th edition, it introduces annotation of equations a neat little addition that helps a lot.

If you other podcasts... let me know.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Davidswift9
I can relate to what you have written (excluding the same name), Im in my late twenties now and finishing my BSc Physics with OU this year.

You sound pretty down about academic grades! Looking back I think I was when I was started the pursuit of the degree because I was working in pretty miserable warehouses for most of my early twenties and through my studies. Its quite a tall task studying with OU and working especially with a challenging subject like Physics, and I've seriously thought about throwing in the towel on soooo many occasions because its an uphill struggle. But I am now getting good career options.

Open University level 1 will 'ease' you into the subject, the maths and science literally start at day 1 of GCSE and go just beyond Alevel standard. School teachers are inadequate compared to OU level 1 books, specifically the MST124 and MST124 maths modules (you need MST124 for physics pathway). They are really well written and Open University clearly spent a great deal of time and money ensuring they are suitable for all levels. They will ramp your knowledge up at a good pace so everyone starts level 2 with the same knowledge.

Khan Academy is brilliant for maths but for physics there are better... These are the ones that helped me... (but some of these subjects will not be talked about in the OU degree pathway until year 2 (level 2 modules)). I have others for more advanced studies

https://www.youtube.com/user/lasseviren1/playlists
https://www.youtube.com/user/ilectureonline/playlists

Physics podcasts I listen to for inspiration....

http://titaniumphysicists.brachiolopemedia.com
http://www.startalkradio.net
http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/podcasts/astronomy/space-boffins/

Online physics courses at Coursera.org (honestly, these are a must for self studying like OU).

The best physics book I ever bought, which gave me a strong base is....

"University Physics - with modern Physics" by Young and Freeman

I used this book rather than OU book level 2 books on so many occasions. OU would introduce a new topic and I would go straight to this book to learn from because its awesome, then I just skim over the OU stuff to make sure nothing was missed. Get the 14th edition, it introduces annotation of equations a neat little addition that helps a lot.

If you other podcasts... let me know.

Thanks you for such a detailed reply.

Re being down about academic grades, I think it is that I am yet to achieve anything academic, I now value education very highly and in my current situation feel an under achiever.

I have managed to get the files for MST124 so that I can get an idea of what i'm in for. And as you say it is a requirement for physics so seemed the best place to start.

Its good to hear that although its difficult you've been able to get past the stumbling blocks and keep moving forward.

Thank you for the youtube links and the titanium physics podcast, startalk and the naked scientists are my regulars aswell as the infinite monkey cage (when its on), otherwise I listen to general science podcasts.

I'll also look into coursera.org and your book recommendation.

If you don't mind my asking, How competent at maths were you prior to starting your degree? That is probably my biggest concern right now.
Original post by Davew3000
Thanks you for such a detailed reply.

Re being down about academic grades, I think it is that I am yet to achieve anything academic, I now value education very highly and in my current situation feel an under achiever.

I have managed to get the files for MST124 so that I can get an idea of what i'm in for. And as you say it is a requirement for physics so seemed the best place to start.

Its good to hear that although its difficult you've been able to get past the stumbling blocks and keep moving forward.

Thank you for the youtube links and the titanium physics podcast, startalk and the naked scientists are my regulars aswell as the infinite monkey cage (when its on), otherwise I listen to general science podcasts.

I'll also look into coursera.org and your book recommendation.

If you don't mind my asking, How competent at maths were you prior to starting your degree? That is probably my biggest concern right now.

I had an A-level in Maths, so I was very familiar with basic concepts but had pretty much forgotten it all by the time I started.

The MST124 books are good because they have hundreds of questions in there to practice and starts at the most basic level. In my opinion you cant revise at maths and cant memorise to be good at it, its learnt through constant weekly reputation of attempting questions and you will get that with MST124. Couple it with Khan Academy and its winning combination. In my opinion, there should not be any concerns when starting an OU physics degree, the 1st year is very kind, there are other educational content that you get as well as the books like tutorials, screencasts, practice quizzes, past papers with answers.... and more.

Maths can look very intimidating sometimes with all the symbols and notation thats used, its somewhat of an art form interpreting it lol and it comes with practice. You will get lots in the degree.

Yea same here, I underachieved and I think Im quite lucky to have the option of Open Uni because I don't know where I would be without it right now, its changed my outlook and prospects completely. Over the last few months I thought it would be difficult to make a career transition into Physics in my late twenties as I'm a lot older than most starting in the field, but I've done a 180 turn on this based from several recent experiences . The physics degree gives a broad understanding, it doesn't allow for someone to hit the floor running in a new job related to physics. High tech companies use on the job learning as their jobs usually go beyond detailed scope of a physics undergraduate degree (regardless of where the degree is obtained) so everyones kinda in the same boat, but mature students generally have more 'soft skills', which are valuable.

Let me know if you have any other questions
(edited 8 years ago)
I just re read your message and realised I missed a few parts answering. I think the tone of your messages are questioning whether you are capable of it? I don't think anyone can answer that question for you.

I've certainly questioned myself on multiple occasions, I am sure you will. Especially with the open university forum, people on it can sometimes make you feel like you arent as good as the next person because some people are quite intense with the amount of info they write on it. The Open uni content, the free lectures on youtube, the free pdf books that can be downloaded, you can have access to all the resources to succeed.

Yea it will be hard and will be hair tearing on occasions, its one of the hardest degrees out there but arguably the most rewarding career wise and just outright interesting (in the later modules). But if your willing to put a lot hours in, emphasis on the amount, you will get something out of it. I like to think of the brain as a muscle that needs to be trained (well atleast I tell myself that ha).

Also, Open University physics degrees are accredited by the Institute of Physics... not all brick universities in the UK have that accreditation for their physics programmes. Its an excellent choice.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I had an A-level in Maths, so I was very familiar with basic concepts but had pretty much forgotten it all by the time I started.

The MST124 books are good because they have hundreds of questions in there to practice and starts at the most basic level. In my opinion you cant revise at maths and cant memorise to be good at it, its learnt through constant weekly reputation of attempting questions and you will get that with MST124. Couple it with Khan Academy and its winning combination. In my opinion, there should not be any concerns when starting an OU physics degree, the 1st year is very kind, there are other educational content that you get as well as the books like tutorials, screencasts, practice quizzes, past papers with answers.... and more.

Maths can look very intimidating sometimes with all the symbols and notation thats used, its somewhat of an art form interpreting it lol and it comes with practice. You will get lots in the degree.

Yea same here, I underachieved and I think Im quite lucky to have the option of Open Uni because I don't know where I would be without it right now, its changed my outlook and prospects completely. Over the last few months I thought it would be difficult to make a career transition into Physics in my late twenties as I'm a lot older than most starting in the field, but I've done a 180 turn on this based from several recent experiences . The physics degree gives a broad understanding, it doesn't allow for someone to hit the floor running in a new job related to physics. High tech companies use on the job learning as their jobs usually go beyond detailed scope of a physics undergraduate degree (regardless of where the degree is obtained) so everyones kinda in the same boat, but mature students generally have more 'soft skills', which are valuable.

Let me know if you have any other questions

That's certainly reassuring, I don't have a strong background in maths but I do think thats more from lack of trying at school than anything.

I have been getting on well with khan acadamy and will continue to work my way through it. Great to hear that between that and mst124 I should stand in good stead.
I also would be taking 6 or so years to complete the degree so I think I should have plenty of time before I even start the maths module.

Regarding your points about career choices, The degree for me is as much about furthering myself as it is my career. I don't see my current business for life and I feel a degree in Physics can open many doors. A problem I may have is that I won't really have anything other than a degree and my business on my CV, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I do just have one other question for now. As I have no formal background in Physics my interest is really in the things like the universe, gravity or time, just a few examples. As I don't have the background in maths do you think it possible that a formal study will actually be a lot less interesting? If that makes sense? It may be a silly question but I don't yet know what is involved in say a formal study in quantum mechanics.
That's certainly reassuring, I don't have a strong background in maths but I do think thats more from lack of trying at school than anything.I have been getting on well with khan acadamy and will continue to work my way through it. Great to hear that between that and mst124 I should stand in good stead.I also would be taking 6 or so years to complete the degree so I think I should have plenty of time before I even start the maths module.Regarding your points about career choices, The degree for me is as much about furthering myself as it is my career. I don't see my current business for life and I feel a degree in Physics can open many doors. A problem I may have is that I won't really have anything other than a degree and my business on my CV, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.I do just have one other question for now. As I have no formal background in Physics my interest is really in the things like the universe, gravity or time, just a few examples. As I don't have the background in maths do you think it possible that a formal study will actually be a lot less interesting? If that makes sense? It may be a silly question but I don't yet know what is involved in say a formal study in quantum mechanics.
I kinda wondered the same thing if it would be as interesting, its hard to answer. I got interested in physics from films, tv and documentaries. As long as you have an interest in that and the spark of curiosity is there, the mathematical concepts and physical laws will intrigue you (unlikely all will appeal to you) and you get a appreciation of just how clever they are as the course goes on.

I dont think level 1 covers much detail of what you just asked about, All Science degrees with OU share the same level 1 60 credit science module, it was called S104 when I done it, it was basically a very well written crash course in GCSE/Alevel Biology,Chemistry and Physics. People complained it contained too much content and it was changed dramatically this year or last year and is now called S111. You could do this compulsory module alongside the physics required module MST124 comfortably. 90 credits of level 1 in one year is very doable, even if you haven't had the A-levels. These modules really do start at the uttermost basic level and it would shorten your degree time down.

I studied 120 credits level 1 credits in a year and then the following year 120 level 2 credits, both years alongside a full time job. Arguably I should have only done 90 level 2 credits in my second year, because 120 at level 2 was a lot with a full time job, but I got through it. I think its worth doing 90 level 1 credits, MST124 will complement the level S111 module.... and MST124 goes well beyond the scope of maths used in S111, so you wont be playing catchup.

I dont particularly like Quantum Mechanics. The maths involved at undergraduate level is relatively straight forward, its a branch of maths called linear algebra. Its covered in MST224 (maybe renamed) and the maths is again refreshed in the QM modules books.

I cant stress this enough, if you look at physics content thats beyond your current understanding its really intimidating, well it was for me and still is! I questioned whether I would even get some parts, But you build up to it if you put the hours in.

Another link for visualising maths and physics concepts https://www.youtube.com/user/EugeneKhutoryansky/playlists (its probably the best, dont know why i missed it off my first post)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7
I kinda wondered the same thing if it would be as interesting, its hard to answer. I got interested in physics from films, tv and documentaries. As long as you have an interest in that and the spark of curiosity is there, the mathematical concepts and physical laws will intrigue you (unlikely all will appeal to you) and you get a appreciation of just how clever they are as the course goes on.

I dont think level 1 covers much detail of what you just asked about, All Science degrees with OU share the same level 1 60 credit science module, it was called S104 when I done it, it was basically a very well written crash course in GCSE/Alevel Biology,Chemistry and Physics. People complained it contained too much content and it was changed dramatically this year or last year and is now called S111. You could do this compulsory module alongside the physics required module MST124 comfortably. 90 credits of level 1 in one year is very doable, even if you haven't had the A-levels. These modules really do start at the uttermost basic level and it would shorten your degree time down.

I studied 120 credits level 1 credits in a year and then the following year 120 level 2 credits, both years alongside a full time job. Arguably I should have only done 90 level 2 credits in my second year, because 120 at level 2 was a lot with a full time job, but I got through it. I think its worth doing 90 level 1 credits, MST124 will complement the level S111 module.... and MST124 goes well beyond the scope of maths used in S111, so you wont be playing catchup.

I dont particularly like Quantum Mechanics. The maths involved at undergraduate level is relatively straight forward, its a branch of maths called linear algebra. Its covered in MST224 (maybe renamed) and the maths is again refreshed in the QM modules books.

I cant stress this enough, if you look at physics content thats beyond your current understanding its really intimidating, well it was for me and still is! I questioned whether I would even get some parts, But you build up to it if you put the hours in.

Another link for visualising maths and physics concepts https://www.youtube.com/user/EugeneKhutoryansky/playlists (its probably the best, dont know why i missed it off my first post)

I honestly can't thank you enough!
It sounds very much as tho we're on a similar path albeit i'm at the beginning.

My initial interest probably stemmed from documentaries etc so the fascination has very much emerged from pondering the concepts themselves.

Re Credits, From what you've said I think I would have the time to comfortably manage S111 and MST124 at the same time, with some tweaking I can probably free up from 3pm onward on weekdays with weekends free also.

As to Quantum Mechanics, maybe a poor example actually as I'd say its probably of least interest to me, largely down to what you said about visualizing concepts. That aside tho I have yet to come across an area that I am not intrigued by.

Thank you again :-)
No problem! Let me know if theres anything else that I may know.

MST124 covers well beyond the maths in physics module S217.
So you could arguably do S111+MST124 in your 1st year, see how that plays out with your results and understanding. If you do okay, 90 credits the following year... S217+MST125 then 90 again with MST224+SXPA290(project module)+S382. That way your maths is always ahead of the physics (which is the way to go!), because S382 astrophysics is not heavily maths based (some may argue that, but its nothing compared to the other level 3 modules)

MST224 contains all the maths to understand the rest of the level 3 physics modules, (SMT359,SM358) its not required for physics level 2 so you can do after physics level 2 (s217). If there any gaps between the maths and physics modules, they are always written into the physics modules books. Though I cant recall any major gaps.
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm planning on studying Physics, however, will be attending a University as oppose to the OU. I would say it is a highly mathematical degree and would suggest maybe taking a year out to study GCSE Maths or A-Level maths before you start. Is the only physics course with the OU the Mathematics and Physics BSc?
Reply 10
Original post by ashleyc1989
I'm planning on studying Physics, however, will be attending a University as oppose to the OU. I would say it is a highly mathematical degree and would suggest maybe taking a year out to study GCSE Maths or A-Level maths before you start. Is the only physics course with the OU the Mathematics and Physics BSc?

I will actually have around a years or so from now to brush up on my maths skills to be as prepared as I can.

To your other question, no there is also the option to do a BSc Natural Sciences (Physics) Which is pretty much the same except less math intensive I think.
If you are able to I would definitely try to do a part time course with a college for Maths before you start. Are you intending on doing it full time or part time? What do you hope to do after the degree?
Reply 12
If you are able to I would definitely try to do a part time course with a college for Maths before you start. Are you intending on doing it full time or part time? What do you hope to do after the degree?

The intention is to do it part time as I currently run a business. The chap above said the opposite to you regarding the need for a maths course prior to starting.

Also in your other post you said you would recommend a year of maths prior to starting the degree which I will be able to do but my intention wasn't to do a course. I've got the first maths module in the degree to get a head start on.

That would advisable for a brick university.

Open University has a totally different module setup and you cant really comment whats best until you have experienced both.

You can embark on a science degree with out Alevels and GCSE's with OU. Year 1 teaches you the low level content found on GCSE and Alevel. Then the year 2 (level 2) and 3 (level 3) have steeper learning curves than traditional brick universities.

OU have "Maths and Physics" and then "Natural Science (Physics)". "Natural Science (Physics)" is by all counts a Physics degree. Its has full accreditation by IOP. Some universities don't have that, and some only have recognition. It has all the maths needed for undergraduate physics (which is a lot) but all the maths needed is taught on the course, you dont need any other external qualifications or books. I have not a bad word to say about any of the OU Maths textbooks for the maths modules, they are really well explained, I have a few gripes here and there about the level 3 Electromagnetism and Quantum Physics textbooks (ive used other textbooks to assist my understanding and get more questions in some cases) but the maths is on point.
(edited 8 years ago)
That would advisable for a brick university.

Open University has a totally different module setup and you cant really comment whats best until you have experienced both.

You can embark on a science degree with out Alevels and GCSE's with OU. Year 1 teaches you the low level content found on GCSE and Alevel. Then the year 2 (level 2) and 3 (level 3) have steeper learning curves than traditional brick universities.

OU have "Maths and Physics" and then "Natural Science (Physics)". "Natural Science (Physics)" is by all counts a Physics degree. Its has full accreditation by IOP. Some universities don't have that, and some only have recognition. It has all the maths needed for undergraduate physics (which is a lot) but all the maths needed is taught on the course, you dont need any other external qualifications or books. I have not a bad word to say about any of the OU Maths textbooks for the maths modules, they are really well explained, I have a few gripes here and there about the Electromagnetism and Quantum Physics textbooks but the maths is on point.

I thought that might be the case. I tried to find out before about OU but had a few issues with trying to discuss the courses. Hope all goes well as it does sound like a good course.
Reply 15

MST124 covers well beyond the maths in physics module S217.
So you could arguably do S111+MST124 in your 1st year, see how that plays out with your results and understanding. If you do okay, 90 credits the following year... S217+MST125 then 90 again with MST224+SXPA290(project module)+S382. That way your maths is always ahead of the physics (which is the way to go!), because S382 astrophysics is not heavily maths based (some may argue that, but its nothing compared to the other level 3 modules)

MST224 contains all the maths to understand the rest of the level 3 physics modules, (SMT359,SM358) its not required for physics level 2 so you can do after physics level 2 (s217). If there any gaps between the maths and physics modules, they are always written into the physics modules books. Though I cant recall any major gaps.

Thought of another quick question today, I had a listen to a few episodes of the titanium physicists podcast (really enjoyed) and it made me wonder.

Do you feel listening to Physics podcasts over the years has aided in your learning/ understanding when its come to the degree itself?
Thought of another quick question today, I had a listen to a few episodes of the titanium physicists podcast (really enjoyed) and it made me wonder.

Do you feel listening to Physics podcasts over the years has aided in your learning/ understanding when its come to the degree itself?

Its certainly helped me with some aspects, they offer some really good analogies on those podcasts for really complicated subjects. Some of the time i didn't have a clue what they were on about, until I started reading the texts books on a subject. But its still fun to listen to and it inspires me somewhat to work.

When you embark on a degree with OU, its freaking hard to self study, Motivation is a huge problem after a long day in work and you can find yourself falling behind REALLY fast, but whats helped me is having these other outlets to study from apart from OU textbooks that help in so many different ways.

I'd like to think education is going to change soon. People don't need to spend 9,000 a year on a degree and students should be demanding more for their money if it doesn't. Majority of lectures at uni are just fancy powerpoints where lecturers have extracted key points out of standard textbooks, they will never be better than the rating of lectures on youtube where the best make it to the top of the list with thousands of likes.

Some people take the approach that its easier to learn at uni because you can speak to lecturers etc, mature people dont need to be spoon fed, you just need to know the best place to learn stuff and willpower to spend the hours learning it. You can go on one of the many physics internet forums when your stuck understanding a problem and kind people half way around the world will explain it to you, or alternatively there is a wealth of content on youtube, coursera, intuitive textbooks, MIT free courses, free lecture pdfs, hyperphysics website (one of many), wikipedia.... its all out there and free. Oh... Sidetracked and ranted...
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Its certainly helped me with some aspects, they offer some really good analogies on those podcasts for really complicated subjects. Some of the time i didn't have a clue what they were on about, until I started reading the texts books on a subject. But its still fun to listen to and it inspires me somewhat to work.

When you embark on a degree with OU, its freaking hard to self study, Motivation is a huge problem after a long day in work and you can find yourself falling behind REALLY fast, but whats helped me is having these other outlets to study from apart from OU textbooks that help in so many different ways.

I'd like to think education is going to change soon. People don't need to spend 9,000 a year on a degree and students should be demanding more for their money if it doesn't. Majority of lectures at uni are just fancy powerpoints where lecturers have extracted key points out of standard textbooks, they will never be better than the rating of lectures on youtube where the best make it to the top of the list with thousands of likes.

Some people take the approach that its easier to learn at uni because you can speak to lecturers etc, mature people dont need to be spoon fed, you just need to know the best place to learn stuff and willpower to spend the hours learning it. You can go on one of the many physics internet forums when your stuck understanding a problem and kind people half way around the world will explain it to you, or alternatively there is a wealth of content on youtube, coursera, intuitive textbooks, MIT free courses, free lecture pdfs, hyperphysics website (one of many), wikipedia.... its all out there and free. Oh... Sidetracked and ranted...

Haha I was hoping you'd say that, I think the podcasts are great and a large part of where my fascination has come from. Usually followed by youtube to help clear up the parts that were too much without visual aids.

You make some interesting points about the education system. It will be very interesting to see how it evolves over the coming years!
Reply 18

David,

I was thinking earlier about time management, How have you coped with the degree alongside a full time job? Any tips

Do you have a family to work round too?
Reply 19
Any thoughts on the above mate?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending