Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I really want to study design engineering

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Would YOU be put off a uni with a high crime rate? First 50 to have their say get a £5 Amazon voucher! 27-10-2016

I've never been so sure in my life. I love everything that this course offers and I'm willing to just apply to Imperial for this course so my personal statement is exactly directed towards it.

However, because it's somewhat a new course I don't know much about what type of person they're "really" looking for :/ I'm currently taking: Maths, Chemistry and Physics AS.

Is there anyone who is currently doing the course or have got accepted that can help me???????

I've just recently been accepted to the course so I'll try to give you my honest opinion (though it may not be of much use)!

This may sound cheesy but, be yourself. You're obviously hooked on the idea of the course and really, really want to study it, so you're exactly the kind of person that they're looking for. If you want a sweeping statement, they appear to be looking for people who would normally apply for an engineering course but who are more creatively inclined. I guess that's an easy way to put it. But they're definitely looking for somebody who has that scientific background.

I'm taking Maths, Physics and Music to Scottish Advanced Higher level if that helps too.

Oh yes! One other tip, don't tailor your personal statement just towards Design Engineering unless all the other courses that you're taking are similar to Product Design Engineering etc. My personal statement was written entirely for an application to Electrical and Electronic Engineering and I ended up emailing Imperial's admission board asking for my application to be transferred across to Design Engineering rather than EEE. So yeah, write a statement for what the majority of your courses are, but try to work in some little things that show off your love for design, innovation and creativity.

I hope this helps! And feel free to PM with any more questions as you think of them.

Really helps, thx
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather be able to

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.