The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I really want to study design engineering

I've never been so sure in my life. I love everything that this course offers and I'm willing to just apply to Imperial for this course so my personal statement is exactly directed towards it.

However, because it's somewhat a new course I don't know much about what type of person they're "really" looking for :/ I'm currently taking: Maths, Chemistry and Physics AS.

Is there anyone who is currently doing the course or have got accepted that can help me??????? :smile:
Hey!

I've just recently been accepted to the course so I'll try to give you my honest opinion (though it may not be of much use)!

This may sound cheesy but, be yourself. You're obviously hooked on the idea of the course and really, really want to study it, so you're exactly the kind of person that they're looking for. If you want a sweeping statement, they appear to be looking for people who would normally apply for an engineering course but who are more creatively inclined. I guess that's an easy way to put it. But they're definitely looking for somebody who has that scientific background.

I'm taking Maths, Physics and Music to Scottish Advanced Higher level if that helps too.

Oh yes! One other tip, don't tailor your personal statement just towards Design Engineering unless all the other courses that you're taking are similar to Product Design Engineering etc. My personal statement was written entirely for an application to Electrical and Electronic Engineering and I ended up emailing Imperial's admission board asking for my application to be transferred across to Design Engineering rather than EEE. So yeah, write a statement for what the majority of your courses are, but try to work in some little things that show off your love for design, innovation and creativity.

I hope this helps! And feel free to PM with any more questions as you think of them.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Really helps, thx
Original post by Lord_Gazz
Hey!

I've just recently been accepted to the course so I'll try to give you my honest opinion (though it may not be of much use)!

This may sound cheesy but, be yourself. You're obviously hooked on the idea of the course and really, really want to study it, so you're exactly the kind of person that they're looking for. If you want a sweeping statement, they appear to be looking for people who would normally apply for an engineering course but who are more creatively inclined. I guess that's an easy way to put it. But they're definitely looking for somebody who has that scientific background.

I'm taking Maths, Physics and Music to Scottish Advanced Higher level if that helps too.

Oh yes! One other tip, don't tailor your personal statement just towards Design Engineering unless all the other courses that you're taking are similar to Product Design Engineering etc. My personal statement was written entirely for an application to Electrical and Electronic Engineering and I ended up emailing Imperial's admission board asking for my application to be transferred across to Design Engineering rather than EEE. So yeah, write a statement for what the majority of your courses are, but try to work in some little things that show off your love for design, innovation and creativity.

I hope this helps! And feel free to PM with any more questions as you think of them.

Original post by funkybinoculars
I've never been so sure in my life. I love everything that this course offers and I'm willing to just apply to Imperial for this course so my personal statement is exactly directed towards it.

However, because it's somewhat a new course I don't know much about what type of person they're "really" looking for :/ I'm currently taking: Maths, Chemistry and Physics AS.

Is there anyone who is currently doing the course or have got accepted that can help me??????? :smile:

Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying there for 2021 entry. @funkybinoculars did you get the place?! And @Lord_Gazz how is the course? I'm having a crisis about my uni choices right now: I kinda enjoy computer science and maths, but I haven't really enjoyed studying physics this year. I really like the idea of making stuff (i probs want to go into product design later on), so the creative aspect is very important for me. Do you think this would be the right course for me? Or is the maths/physics content very pure and heavy? PLEASE HELP
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys, I'm thinking about applying there for 2021 entry. @funkybinoculars did you get the place?! And @Lord_Gazz how is the course? I'm having a crisis about my uni choices right now: I kinda enjoy computer science and maths, but I haven't really enjoyed studying physics this year. I really like the idea of making stuff (i probs want to go into product design later on), so the creative aspect is very important for me. Do you think this would be the right course for me? Or is the maths/physics content very pure and heavy? PLEASE HELP

Hello, I am in a similar situation that you are in, as I am also applying in 2021 and wanted to know more about the sort of course that it is. I am currently in my second year of college taking A level Maths, Physics and 3D Design Technology. I found myself liking the aspect of designing products and things, in the artistic and creative sense, though I still have a passion for the mathematical and science aspect of this process. I didn't want to take a BA Degree with only an art certificate e.g Product Design or Industrial Design ( These courses were offered at Loughborough University), as it would ruin the point of me taking Maths and Physics. Having an Engineering Degree whilst also expressing my love for creative and artistic designing, is one aspect of this course that really made me want to choose Design Engineering. It would be great if we could talk together and help each other understand more about this course. Hopefully, both of us being accepted into this course. Message me so we can get in touch if you want.

Quick Reply

Latest