The Student Room Group

AS Chem Equilibrium HELP

Ok so basically I am stuck on a rather silly issue. I need to know if when equilibrium is moved to the left (as an example) will more products or reatants be produced (soz for the very crude way of wording it)?? I know it's basic but our teacher rushed through it in 2 hours so..
Tysm to whoever helps me <3
Original post by emilyjeh
Ok so basically I am stuck on a rather silly issue. I need to know if when equilibrium is moved to the left (as an example) will more products or reatants be produced (soz for the very crude way of wording it)?? I know it's basic but our teacher rushed through it in 2 hours so..
Tysm to whoever helps me <3

More reactants. A chem reaction sees reactants ---> Products. Shift eqm to the left, then more reactants.
Reply 2
Original post by Bath~Student
More reactants. A chem reaction sees reactants ---> Products. Shift eqm to the left, then more reactants.

Thank you!! I just needed it clarified, you are a life saver🙌
Reply 3
Think about it like this
Products
------------
Reactants

So if it moves to the left then there are more reactants. Therefore the Kc value will smaller as the products remain constant but they are divided by a bigger number. Hope that helps!
Reply 4
Original post by Jehaan
Think about it like this
Products
------------
Reactants

So if it moves to the left then there are more reactants. Therefore the Kc value will smaller as the products remain constant but they are divided by a bigger number. Hope that helps!

Yes it does! Thank you so much 😊
If the equilibrium moves to the left then more reactants will be produced as we write a chemical equation going from
(LHS) Reactants to Products (RHS)
And so reactants are on the left hand side.
If the equilibrium shifts to the left, then it favours the reaction going from products to reactants.
Therefore more reactants will be produced.
It has to produce more reactants in order to oppose the change imposed onto the system.
This change in this case where the equilibrium shifts to the left, could be an increase in temperature for an exothermic reaction for example.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Pentaquark
If the equilibrium moves to the left then more reactants will be produced as we write a chemical equation going from
(LHS) Reactants to Products (RHS)
And so reactants are on the left hand side.
If the equilibrium shifts to the left, then it favours the reaction going from products to reactants.
Therefore more reactants will be produced.
It has to produce more reactants in order to oppose the change imposed onto the system.
This change in this case where the equilibrium shifts to the left, could be an increase in temperature for an exothermic reaction for example.

Thank you so much!! I think I've got it sorted, you guys are all so helpful 😊

Quick Reply

Latest