The Student Room Group

Do you agree with giving up seats on public transport ?

I only ask because I have broken my back and recently have started travelling back to work on the tube. I'm on crutches and I'm not saying for one second I deserve the seat more than anybody else as lots or conditions are invisible. However I've been pushed over two timew by somebody pushing me put the way for a seat and only been offered a seat once. I've always given up my seat for pregnant ladies elderly people or people who look like they need it I'm wondering if I'm in the minority giving up my seat !

Scroll to see replies

At the end of the day, I don't think anyone should necessarily be forced to give up their seat unless obviously the person can't hold themselves up, however I am perfectly happy to give my seat up for someone whom I believe needs it more.
Original post by Mimi1233
I only ask because I have broken my back and recently have started travelling back to work on the tube. I'm on crutches and I'm not saying for one second I deserve the seat more than anybody else as lots or conditions are invisible. However I've been pushed over two timew by somebody pushing me put the way for a seat and only been offered a seat once. I've always given up my seat for pregnant ladies elderly people or people who look like they need it I'm wondering if I'm in the minority giving up my seat !

I generally always offer my seat if someone is stood up near me.
Always, always get up if I think that someone wants to use my seat. I don't need it :yep:
Reply 4
Glad I'm not the only one who does !
Reply 5
Of course and to anyone which I feel is less able than myself.
Ive never been on an experince where ive done that. I would do it though. I appreciate people are going through difficult times and are unable to stand easily.
Its a good thing to do!

It mustve hurt badly when you were pushed over. Broken backs are awful!!! Thats one thing i defo never want to happen.
Reply 7
I give up my seat to those that need it. London is so rude.
i always give up my seat for the elderly, and people who generally really need the seat, but i travel home from school doing this and the amount of immature year 7-9's who think it's funny to quickly dash into the seat after i stand up to let the person who really needs it sit in it, the amount of times i just wish there were no laws so i could punch them a couple of times..... i mean come on who needs it more, a 6 year old in a 11-13 year olds body who's just gonna literally scream at the top of their voice with their awful friends or a pregnant woman, elderly member of public etc oh yeh by the way i don't live in London i live in Essex so that probably explains everything, i just wish Essex was more sensible and not make me wish 90% of it's population were eradicated.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
Firstly I would never push somebody out of the way to get a seat. Secondly, if I can see the person clearly needs the seat more than I do I would willing give it up.
Reply 10
I think pushing past someone with a broken back who's on crutches is awful.
I always give my seat up for someone else who is more in need. It's just polite and courteous :smile:
Only for pregnant women, the very elderly, those with injuries, wheelchair (if i'm in wheelchair space) a disabled person... everyone else can do one. Survival of the fittest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I normally give up my seat but never to fat people who look like they are struggling.
Original post by Blondie987
At the end of the day, I don't think anyone should necessarily be forced to give up their seat unless obviously the person can't hold themselves up, however I am perfectly happy to give my seat up for someone whom I believe needs it more.

Even if it was me? :smile:
Original post by DiddyDec
I normally give up my seat but never to fat people who look like they are struggling.

haha this guy
After being on a crutch twice, I became a lot more giving of seat offering :yep:
Personally, yes.

I don't need a seat. There are others who do, so they should be prioritised.

Spoiler

I always try and give my seat up on the bus but there have been so many times when elderly people or people with crutches have gotten on the bus and I'm sat on a window seat or at the back so there's no way I can give it up but no one else gives their seat up...

What I hate THE MOST is when young people from my college who i know for a fact are not disabled, sit in the priority seats at the front where there is a massive sign in red saying "Priority seats. Please give these up for the elderly and pregnant women" and then when old people or pregnant women get on the bus, they don't get up and the bus is full and no one gets up so they're forced to stand -.-

People.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone who doesn't give up their seat to the pregnant, elderly or injured is extremely rude. Sadly, often people don't have the social confidence to offer up their seat to someone.

I've been on the tube a few times with an obviously pregnant Mrs Supersaps and I've pretty much had to drag some young lads off their seat because they wouldn't offer it. They may not be bad people but just socially awkward or something.

I'll also quite happily tell people to get off their seats if there's someone blatantly struggling next to them.

SS
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest