The Student Room Group

I've got a question about transferring uni from the UK to elsewhere in the EU

Hello,

I'm wondering if its at all possible to transfer university after the first year from a UK university (Loughborough) to a university in a country like Sweden or Finland. I know I should ask my university but I want to know if it's even possible in the first place to transfer the credits from my course in the UK to one in Sweden or Finland.

Thanks for your help.
Original post by Danz0r123
Hello,

I'm wondering if its at all possible to transfer university after the first year from a UK university (Loughborough) to a university in a country like Sweden or Finland. I know I should ask my university but I want to know if it's even possible in the first place to transfer the credits from my course in the UK to one in Sweden or Finland.

Thanks for your help.

Hey,

So, you basically answered the question yourself - talk with your university! There may be cases where transferring is possible, and other cases where it's not possible. It will just depend on student to student, university to university, so definitely talk to your university and also any university you'd like to transfer to.

Much of Europe works on the ECTS credit system, unlike the UK. In order to transfer, you may need to meet a certain number of ECTS credits at a particular grade to be considered. As well as this, the actual course content you have covered will probably need to match your new university closely so you can keep up with the work. Some universities do offer direct entry into 2nd year for courses, which may be most suitable for yourself. When it comes to transferring in 3rd year, or later, it becomes increasingly more difficult, and this is usually when studying abroad for a year takes place.

I have heard of students transferring courses before, but it's only been for entering 2nd year and when the course is very similar. Emailing a department head might be a good place to go as they will know the courses well and often deal with students dropping out/transferring/retaking classes.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Quick Reply

Latest