The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Accommodation Advice Needed

Poll

Which accommodation should I choose?

Hey guys,

I've finally decided to firm Birmingham, so now the next step is accommodation. I've just got a few questions!

I'm definitely going to put Maple Bank and Tennis Court down, mainly due to the low cost and social hub of the Vale. I'm also considering Ashcroft and Oakley Court, but haven't heard much about Pritchatts Park. Is it sociable there? Which of the two halls are better in regards to sociability, value for money e.t.c. Is the extra grand cost of Oakley Court worth it? Are either of them any good in the first place?

I'm also considering The Green Community (Tennis Court), which I'm fairly sure is new for 2016 entry. I'm a little hesitant with that though as I'm worried the whole 'green' thing may mean a bit boring... and with it being a new thing for 2016, it's a bit of a risk.

Of all the halls listed above, which would you guys suggest? In which order? Here are the main criteria I have:

- I want self-catered
- I want to avoid spending more than £5,000 a year
- I'd rather a large number of flatmates
- I want 'sociable' accommodation

Any advice/story sharing is appreciated! :h:
Hiya. I'm a first year at Birmingham university and I'm currently in Maple bank in the Vale. I would definitely recommend my accommodation due to the social side of it and the cost. You are guaranteed to make friends here as you literally cannot take a step without seeing someone. Tennis courts would be a good choice as well, as the kitchen is larger than maple bank, and it is closer to the university by 5 minutes.
I would not recommend chamberlain or mason due to the cost and apparently it has a feel which is more like a hotel than a home where you can settle. Also people are a lot more easily secluded on each floor where as Tennis courts and maple are more communal.
Hope this helps.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by sophiegray
Hiya. I'm a first year at Birmingham university and I'm currently in Maple bank in the Vale. I would definitely recommend my accommodation due to the social side of it and the cost. You are guaranteed to make friends here as you literally cannot take a step without seeing someone. Tennis courts would be a good choice as well, as the kitchen is larger than maple bank, and it is closer to the university by 5 minutes.
I would not recommend chamberlain or mason due to the cost and apparently it has a feel which is more like a hotel than a home where you can settle. Also people are a lot more easily secluded on each floor where as Tennis courts and maple are more communal.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply! I think my top two will definitely be between Maple and Tennis Court. I've been inside Maple Bank accommodation a few times, and the only thing putting me off is the kitchen size tbh. I guess that's something I'd get used to though. I wouldn't even consider somewhere like Mason, waaaay to expensive!
Original post by Dear_Rhian
Hey guys,

I've finally decided to firm Birmingham, so now the next step is accommodation. I've just got a few questions!

I'm definitely going to put Maple Bank and Tennis Court down, mainly due to the low cost and social hub of the Vale. I'm also considering Ashcroft and Oakley Court, but haven't heard much about Pritchatts Park. Is it sociable there? Which of the two halls are better in regards to sociability, value for money e.t.c. Is the extra grand cost of Oakley Court worth it? Are either of them any good in the first place?

I'm also considering The Green Community (Tennis Court), which I'm fairly sure is new for 2016 entry. I'm a little hesitant with that though as I'm worried the whole 'green' thing may mean a bit boring... and with it being a new thing for 2016, it's a bit of a risk.

Of all the halls listed above, which would you guys suggest? In which order? Here are the main criteria I have:

- I want self-catered
- I want to avoid spending more than £5,000 a year
- I'd rather a large number of flatmates
- I want 'sociable' accommodation

Any advice/story sharing is appreciated! :h:

Hey Rhian,

Can I just ask what you knoe about this Green community?!
I put it down as a choice because I ran out of other choices but I put Maple bank first followed by Tennis courts.
But yesterday I got an email saying to change it to my first choice to secure my spot but I want maple bank.
Anyway, what do you know about it?!
Reply 4
Original post by sjosborne
Hey Rhian,

Can I just ask what you knoe about this Green community?!
I put it down as a choice because I ran out of other choices but I put Maple bank first followed by Tennis courts.
But yesterday I got an email saying to change it to my first choice to secure my spot but I want maple bank.
Anyway, what do you know about it?!

I probably know as little as you, to be honest! All I know is what I've read on the accommodation website. I was hoping someone who had more of an idea would comment here, but as it's totally new for 2016 entry (I think, anyway), no one seems to know much. I've been to Maple Bank myself, so know that it's a safe choice, so if you're happy to go there then I'd say keep it as your first!
Original post by Dear_Rhian
I probably know as little as you, to be honest! All I know is what I've read on the accommodation website. I was hoping someone who had more of an idea would comment here, but as it's totally new for 2016 entry (I think, anyway), no one seems to know much. I've been to Maple Bank myself, so know that it's a safe choice, so if you're happy to go there then I'd say keep it as your first!

Fair enough!
I'm gonna stick with maple bank as my first choice- cheap!
Reply 6
hi, i'm applying for UoB this year and was looking at the green community accommodation. its cheap, the kitchen and bedroom look good but i don't know what the bathroom is like. the website says it's shared but it doesn't say how many share it or show what it looks like. Can anyone give me some insight please?
Reply 7
Original post by kyras
hi, i'm applying for UoB this year and was looking at the green community accommodation. its cheap, the kitchen and bedroom look good but i don't know what the bathroom is like. the website says it's shared but it doesn't say how many share it or show what it looks like. Can anyone give me some insight please?

I'm in the Green Community and it isn't all that different to normal Tennis Courts, and I would definitely recommend putting it down as one of your choices. The bathrooms are shared between 5 or 6 of you. If you are in the corner flats, then you have three bathrooms, two with showers and one with just the toilet and sink, between 6 people. In the other flats which are just in a straight line you have two bathrooms, one with a shower, between five people. It's isn't really as bad as you would imagine as everyone is going in and out at different times of the day. I've never been in a situation where I've had to wait for the bathroom. As there are three girls and two boys in our flat we figured it out so the boys would use the smaller bathroom (obviously being allowed to use the shower though XD) and the girls use the bigger bathroom. As long as everyone accepts responsibility for cleaning the bathroom, normally on a rota, they don't end up in too much of a state. If you have anymore questions about the Green Community, feel free to ask me.
Reply 8
Original post by oswalds
I'm in the Green Community and it isn't all that different to normal Tennis Courts, and I would definitely recommend putting it down as one of your choices. The bathrooms are shared between 5 or 6 of you. If you are in the corner flats, then you have three bathrooms, two with showers and one with just the toilet and sink, between 6 people. In the other flats which are just in a straight line you have two bathrooms, one with a shower, between five people. It's isn't really as bad as you would imagine as everyone is going in and out at different times of the day. I've never been in a situation where I've had to wait for the bathroom. As there are three girls and two boys in our flat we figured it out so the boys would use the smaller bathroom (obviously being allowed to use the shower though XD) and the girls use the bigger bathroom. As long as everyone accepts responsibility for cleaning the bathroom, normally on a rota, they don't end up in too much of a state. If you have anymore questions about the Green Community, feel free to ask me.

Thanks for the info. Yh, my major concern with accommodation is bathrooms. Ideally I'd like an en suite (because I take so long in there) or share between 3 so it's less complicated. It mayn't end up being as bad as I think tbh.
Are you able to take pics of your bathrooms? (sorry if too personal)
Reply 9
Original post by kyras
Thanks for the info. Yh, my major concern with accommodation is bathrooms. Ideally I'd like an en suite (because I take so long in there) or share between 3 so it's less complicated. It mayn't end up being as bad as I think tbh.
Are you able to take pics of your bathrooms? (sorry if too personal)

I think bathrooms can seem a bit off-putting until you get used to them. I worried about it quite a bit before I arrived but now I don't really mind it at all. It would be nice to have an en-suite for convenience, but I don't think I could personally justify the extra cost. My friends who have en-suites say they couldn't imagine having a shared bathroom, so I think it is a very individual thing. I take quite a while in the bathroom as well, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been an issue yet as I try to shower in the evening when nobodies in a rush. It would definitely be better if you managed to have one of the corner flats, considering the one aross the landing from us have a boys shower and a girls shower, both shared between three, and then an extra toilet.

I've got some pictures and I don't mind posting them, but as it's a shared space I'll PM them to you, as I don't know if my flatmates would mind or not :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by oswalds
I think bathrooms can seem a bit off-putting until you get used to them. I worried about it quite a bit before I arrived but now I don't really mind it at all. It would be nice to have an en-suite for convenience, but I don't think I could personally justify the extra cost. My friends who have en-suites say they couldn't imagine having a shared bathroom, so I think it is a very individual thing. I take quite a while in the bathroom as well, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been an issue yet as I try to shower in the evening when nobodies in a rush. It would definitely be better if you managed to have one of the corner flats, considering the one aross the landing from us have a boys shower and a girls shower, both shared between three, and then an extra toilet.

I've got some pictures and I don't mind posting them, but as it's a shared space I'll PM them to you, as I don't know if my flatmates would mind or not :smile:

Yh it'd be great if you could pm them
Hi,Not sure if you'll still have any pictures now, but if you do could you PM them to me?? I'm hoping to live in the GC in September, but not sure what to expect as I only saw the pictures on the website
Original post by oswalds

hi, i'm considering applying for the Green Community Tennis Courts accommodation for this September, i'm wondering if they are just as sociable as the other tennis Courts accommodation? And on the whole are they quite a quiet or loud accommodation? :smile:
Hii could I have a picture of the bathrooms?

Quick Reply