Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Student support services - please help! :)

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Four hours left to win £100 of Amazon vouchers!! Don't miss out! Take our short survey to enter 24-10-2016
    • Thread Starter


    I have put York as my firm choice and although a part of me is looking forward to uni, I am mainly terrified and very sad about leaving college.

    I mean - I have never been good at making friends as I have had mental health problems over the last few years and it's been hard. However, I can be quite sociable when I want to be and I am looking forward to meeting new people.

    But I know I will need support. I am so sad about leaving the support I currently have (my college tutors/lecturers/counselors are all so nice). I really need to know that I will still have people I can go to at uni?

    So what are the student support services actually like? Is the welfare team in your college approachable? Or do most people speak to their academic supervisor? Or maybe lecturers? Who would you say is like the equivalent to a pastoral manager/tutor at school/6th form college?


    I'm in the same situation, excited and terrified! I was wondering if York uni has a similar system to other college unis where you get given college "parents" who look out for you etc?
Write a reply…


Submit reply


Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

    6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

  4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 25, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you rather find

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.