The Student Room Group

Question for people who run.

I want to enjoy running but when im actually doing it it feels horrible. I just wondered if people who run a lot actually enjoy it or if its the challenge of mental toughness they enjoy. Do you constantly have the urge to walk or does running feel very natural to you?
If you're out of breath, have the urge to walk or have cramps, you're most likely running too fast.
Also, if you're a beginner give this a quick read: reddit-you_shouldnt_be_winded
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by indigofox
I want to enjoy running but when im actually doing it it feels horrible. I just wondered if people who run a lot actually enjoy it or if its the challenge of mental toughness they enjoy. Do you constantly have the urge to walk or does running feel very natural to you?

I used to hate running until I actually started, I think it depends on your motivation/reason to run. I've always been absolutely horrible at running but when I had a reason to start running and was actively trying to get something out of it, I started to kind of enjoy it. I think the challenge is also a part of it, I ike to think that the toughness encourages me to work harder and it also makes it feel 10000% better when you have a really good run. I'm faaaar from a pro in running, but I originally started w/ the Couch2FiveK programme which incorporated running and walking initially and then weans out the walking - this is a great programme as any time you want to stop running you remind yourself you only have a minute or two left so it motivates you to keep going. After a few weeks on the programme I could run long distances and it felt natural and good - nothing compared to the pain it was initially. So maybe, try the programme for a few weeks and see how you get on after a few weeks. Be sure to remember, consistency is key. Good luck!
I ran a marathon with 4months training

I loathe running

Posted from TSR Mobile
You have to learn to enjoy the pain, it's weird but that's it, the pain is what makes it enjoyable. If you push yourself nothing will ever be a breeze, it's the same for weightlifting or anything else physically competitive.
Original post by Angry cucumber
I ran a marathon with 4months training

I loathe running

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hahaha why??!
Reply 6
Idk it depends how often you do it, if you stretch etc. I feel that running is really natural to me, but this may be because I've been doing it for a while now. And perhaps you could work on your pacing and how fast you run, if you start off slow and gradually build up, you might enjoy the run more. Another good idea is having a run in places where there is a nice view bc the surroundings are generally aesthetically pleasing :smile:
Original post by Aristotle's' Disciple
Hahaha why??!

Monotonous AF

I can't run with a bottle so that also restricts my routes. Boring AF running the same routes

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k.m.b
Idk it depends how often you do it, if you stretch etc.

I thought it was better to avoid stretching before a run, only doing so if you feel a tight muscle once finished?
Reply 9
Original post by Aydin7
I thought it was better to avoid stretching before a run, only doing so if you feel a tight muscle once finished?

I probably wasn't clear, but I stretch after not before. But I don't think it decreases the chance of injury, I just think it makes my knees feel good
I hated running for about two months but stuck at it and now I've been going for five years. It never felt natural at first but now I love using it as a stress relief, a study break and a means by which I can explore the place around me.

I also have an app which allows you to run from zombies and it's rather motivating and tells you a story while you run; and in between successive parts of the story, it plays your music. Best. Thing. Ever.
Original post by k.m.b
I probably wasn't clear, but I stretch after not before. But I don't think it decreases the chance of injury, I just think it makes my knees feel good

Ah okay, there was a study I read recently about how stretching has little effect on finish time, but does make the start of your run more difficult. Stretching at the end is fine though :smile:
Original post by indigofox

I think six months ago I would have made the same thread, when I couldn't reach 5k and it frustrated the hell out of me. I kept running 20 minutes,3k (sometimes less) because I just felt like I couldn't do it and I hated it but I wanted to tone my legs and that was the only 'effective' way, but I think what happened was I went on a run with my sister who ran 10k before and she dragged me through 5k on that run, afterwards I felt like how much I run was limitless and now I am running 10k myself, I know it's not a marathon but it's still 55minutes of straight running(I run at 10.5km/hr) and I think i'm now numb to the pain of running, so my point is running (for people like me, unfit) takes a long time to become something you 'enjoy' and it is still a mental battle for me everytime I run, but it's definitely something worth battling for.

Quick Reply

Latest