Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Strict liability question

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

HI all,
    Could someone tell me, where I could find an example of strict liability in civil cases?
    I am in the middle of writing my essay and one of my points is that, strict liability is to prevent causing harm to the public. Thereofre I was wonder if using Halsey v Esso Petroleum Co. Ltd [1961] 1 WLR 683 case would be a good example? I cannot find any informations as to whether it is an example of strict liability. And whethear I am wrong or right so I wanted to double check. Could anyone help, please?

Types of Strict Liability TortsThere are instances when a person becomes responsible for things that may go wrong even if the person did not intend for the wrong to occur. In other words, some actions hold a person strictly liable regardless of the circumstances. Say you owned an exotic Python. If the snake creeps out of the house and bites your neighbor, you will be held responsible even though you did not let the snake out. Ownership is enough to hold you responsible.
    In other words, strict liability tort means a defendant is held fully liable for any injury sustained by another party regardless of whether the injury was intended. Dangerous animals are just one of three major strict liability categories. Strict liability categories include:
    • Animals, owned or possessed
    • Abnormally dangerous acts
    • Product liability

I think Product liability is a really good area to include in your essay (Check out Escola v Coca Cola) and the Consumer Protection Act 1987

See this page:

That's all great replies. Thank you so much for your help!
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 19, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.