The Student Room Group

Latin AS Level

Just wanted to find other people who are doing it as I need to ask for help :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Hi there, I have sent you a PM. :smile:
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
Just wanted to find other people who are doing it as I need to ask for help :frown:

Is it Latin Language or Literature or both? I'm doing both, and I can provide some suggestions for either if you want.
Reply 4
Original post by fablereader
Is it Latin Language or Literature or both? I'm doing both, and I can provide some suggestions for either if you want.

language would be great thank you :smile:
Original post by Boo_Ayres13
language would be great thank you :smile:

You might have heard some of this before and you might be doing an exam board other than OCR, but here are some suggestions:

Do plenty of translation, make sure you can translate quickly and efficiently. I would recommend translating Cicero texts, if you have them.

Look over vocabulary. OCR has a vocabulary sheet at their website which contains words they might use (link below). I'm not sure about this, but even if you're doing something different than OCR you might want to use this (the exam boards are in my opinion probably going to use a lot of similar vocabulary) or look for a similar one for your exam board.

Do past papers, and look over mark schemes and examiner reports (these are also at the OCR link).

http://www.ocr.org.uk/qualifications/as-a-level-gce-classics-latin-h039-h439/

I hope these help a little and good luck with the exam.
Hi, I'm taking Latin AS this year and have found that being confident with the grammatical constructions has really helped.
Knowing uses of the subjunctive, cases of time clauses, indirect statements etc. has really helped my translation to be more accurate.

Hope this helps and good luck!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How did u all find it?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
How did u all find it?

It was rather easy for me. Some constructions I had to look over twice, and I quibbled over some of the words, but it was fine.
Original post by fablereader
It was rather easy for me. Some constructions I had to look over twice, and I quibbled over some of the words, but it was fine.

Overall it was okay,however a few sentences confused me. There was this word in the 3rd sentence I didn't know the meaning of-Cessit or something?(the sentence about the Romans going to lots of Roman cities)

Did you do section 2 or 3?
Overall it was okay,however a few sentences confused me. There was this word in the 3rd sentence I didn't know the meaning of-Cessit or something?(the sentence about the Romans going to lots of Roman cities)

Did you do section 2 or 3?

I'm not going into specifics (some people may perhaps still be sitting the exam) but that is a difficult word (I only remembered it because I looked over the OCR vocabulary before the exam). I did both sections, but I ultimately chose to put in section 2.
(edited 7 years ago)
I found it quite difficult, there were quite a few parts of the translation I just didn't understand, and I did p3, I thought the English to Latin sentences were very hard compared to past papers. Overall this exam was the hardest ocr have given.
Original post by Diascott
I found it quite difficult, there were quite a few parts of the translation I just didn't understand, and I did p3, I thought the English to Latin sentences were very hard compared to past papers. Overall this exam was the hardest ocr have given.

I agree the E into L sentences were more difficult than previous ones, but hopefully I managed to score decently.
does anyone have a rough translation! I'm freaking out because it went terribly for me 😭😭😭
Original post by fizzywaterbottle
does anyone have a rough translation! I'm freaking out because it went terribly for me 😭😭😭

What parts did you have most trouble with? Did you do section 2 or 3?

No, can't remember the actual translation unfortunately. Which parts did you struggle with?
I did the Cicero section. Honestly, I don't know where to start it was all so difficult. For section 1, did the citizens cry? What was the whole bit about when they saw that the king was crying?
I did the Cicero section. Honestly, I don't know where to start it was all so difficult. For section 1, did the citizens cry? What was the whole bit about when they saw that the king was crying?

The content was a bit confusing, I agree. Consider that kings were absolute rulers. To see a king cry probably signified that there was no hope left. I'm really not entirely sure, though.

Something I've just thought of: iff anyone remembers the precise section of Livy, you can probably look it up. Useful to compare translations.
(edited 7 years ago)
No, can't remember the actual translation unfortunately. Which parts did you struggle with?

I did section 2. For section 1, What were the roman cities doing? And what was the bit in the direct speech? It started with an imperative i think?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending