The Student Room Group

What can I do about my possible diagnosis of depression?

After several weeks of counselling I've been to a GP's appointment and we've discussed options about a possible diagnosis of depression. However, this diagnosis will take several weeks to happen and almost certainly wont happen before exams and probably wont happen before results day.

If I am suffering with depression, I won't receive any assistance in exams without a diagnosis. With my ADD, I already receive extra time but I don't know what's available for people suffering with depression. I've also already sent off my student finance without any mention of depression. My parents don't know about my counselling or anything and for now I'd prefer to keep it that way.

One suggestion I've heard is to email the universities and ask for any assistance or advice they can provide to help with my financial situation or grades or whatever. I'm not sure about this because it sounds like I'm desperate for the grades, with no diagnosis I have no proof except if my doctor says something, which I don't think he can do without a diagnosis.

I just don't know what to do, because if I do have depression but don't receive any help it could mean I don't go to uni, but if I don't have depression and ask for assistance then I don't know what will happen.

Can anyone help?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Each university should have a disability rights section. The details will be on the uni webpage. If you are already getting help for ADD, then its the same people. They can advise you on what extra facilities they mught make available. In the case of depression before you have even started a course, then if you cant cope with it an be functional it may be worth delating till you know you can handle university.
Original post by BarBar124
After several weeks of counselling I've been to a GP's appointment and we've discussed options about a possible diagnosis of depression. However, this diagnosis will take several weeks to happen and almost certainly wont happen before exams and probably wont happen before results day.

If I am suffering with depression, I won't receive any assistance in exams without a diagnosis. With my ADD, I already receive extra time but I don't know what's available for people suffering with depression. I've also already sent off my student finance without any mention of depression. My parents don't know about my counselling or anything and for now I'd prefer to keep it that way.

One suggestion I've heard is to email the universities and ask for any assistance or advice they can provide to help with my financial situation or grades or whatever. I'm not sure about this because it sounds like I'm desperate for the grades, with no diagnosis I have no proof except if my doctor says something, which I don't think he can do without a diagnosis.

I just don't know what to do, because if I do have depression but don't receive any help it could mean I don't go to uni, but if I don't have depression and ask for assistance then I don't know what will happen.

Can anyone help?

Any request for mitigating circumstances has to be made via your school's exams officer. For pretty obvious reasons, universities do not accept unsupported self-diagnosis. You need to discuss this with your school's pastoral system if any application for special consideration is going to be made. I understand that you will find this difficult, but it is the only way. Take their advice.
I'm sure the only thing you could get for depression would be impaired performance which goes in afterwards which might get you 1% so it's not going to mean you miss out on much for your exams. As far as contacting universities, there's no harm in making contact so there is support in place wherever you end up going, my guess would be that they would be unlikely to accept you without the right grades because they knew you had depression, but you can ask. I don't think anyone at universities will be asking for evidence of anything at an inquiry stage so it's certainly worth doing.
Reply 5

Can anyone help?

If you need evidence for anything before your diagnosis you can ask the doctor still. They can say that you have been having difficulties and are awaiting diagnosis.

On the whole, through DSA, mental health problems such as depresion can entitle you to extra time, breaks, or private room for exams along with support with learning (usually a support worker you can meet with reguarly). I you are at uni you can also get help with expenses if your mh problem is meaning you need to spend more than others would (like I needed my own house due to anxiety so they paid the difference of me living alone compared to in a house share). You can also get a few allowances like if you are late or miss lessons due to your problems.
You will need medical evdece for this and will get an asessment (you may have had one already for your ADD if you get DSA for it). It is done by individual need so they will give you what help you need from what they can give. Your ADD and potential depression will be taken into account as long as you have evidence. You can apply for DSA whenever you like, but it is best to apply as soon as you can so you can get the support sooner.

Your parents will probably end up finding out eventually so I would advise telling them at some point (maybe after your diagnosis?). That is up to you of course, but trying to hide it is going to be stressful.

Ask for advise and support from your college and your university before you start. Your college can help you work everything out now with exams and things and your uni will be able to help you with DSA. Ask your college now. There are various forms of help they can give you without diagnosis (I asked mine in a simmilar situation where I was waiting for a diagnosis at exam time and they gave me some support like rest breaks in my exams) and tey can advise you on what else to do, like how to talk to your universitiy choices about it. They can't give you extra time or anything without diagnosis, but they wouldn't be able to anyway in your case since you already ge it from your ADD. They can do a few things like change your seat to the front/ back or whatever or give you rest breaks (you can basically pause your exam and have a breather) so do aak.
Btw you do not have to declare it to your choices and they can't reject on on that basis (some people worry about that). I would suggest asking about support as soon as you are accepted personally.

Sorry if that was super muddled. Basically ask your college for help and advice now. They will go through anything with you.

Can anyone help?

Ask your college for advice. Usually for depression, people may get extra time, separate room, smaller exam room size, rest breaks. It totally depends on how your difficulties are affecting you at the moment.

In terms of student finance, the only thing that would really matter is that, once you get a diagnosis, you can apply for disabled students allowance (you would also be entitled to this already due to your ADD diagnosis) - but you can apply for this anytime. Once you've done your exams you could contact the uni about your current mood (you may have a diagnosis by then), and ask what support they can offer.

Quick Reply