The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I thought it was quite an interesting exam, to say the least... I would certainly claim that it was slighlty more difficult than the majority of past papers, but that didn't stop me doing it :biggrin:

Regarding question 4 (the car and the truck), in all my revision and all the past papers, I regrettedly didn't come across a question like that. I remember doing some in class, but my knowledge had dwindled. I tried an approach that relied on things I knew from other topics etc. as, usually, it's the ambiguity of the question that is difficult, not the question itself. My answers seemed to make sense, and I believe I got them by fluke, but even if I get all of that question wrong I think I'll probably still get an A :biggrin:

I liked the last question, particularly in reference to part d) - 6 marks for the bearing from the origin to the boat. Others may have come across other questions like it, but I hadn't before and it provided some good thinking. I didn't understand the question at first, but then I managed to figure it out (and with two minutes to go I realised I did the bearing from the boat, and not the origin, so I rushed through to correct it). I was quite happy about it because I'm definitely more of a strong pure mathematician than a mechanics-man, so it was nice to be able to figure something out.

I think the other questions were generic for the topics that they covered, so I'm not worried about it. Even if I don't do as well as I think, I got nigh on 100% in PC1 and PC2 went well, so they'll undoubtedly pull the grade up.

... Chemistry tomorrow!
Reply 2
CJHackett
I thought it was quite an interesting exam, to say the least... I would certainly claim that it was slighlty more difficult than the majority of past papers, but that didn't stop me doing it :biggrin:

Regarding question 4 (the car and the truck), in all my revision and all the past papers, I regrettedly didn't come across a question like that. I remember doing some in class, but my knowledge had dwindled. I tried an approach that relied on things I knew from other topics etc. as, usually, it's the ambiguity of the question that is difficult, not the question itself. My answers seemed to make sense, and I believe I got them by fluke, but even if I get all of that question wrong I think I'll probably still get an A :biggrin:

I liked the last question, particularly in reference to part d) - 6 marks for the bearing from the origin to the boat. Others may have come across other questions like it, but I hadn't before and it provided some good thinking. I didn't understand the question at first, but then I managed to figure it out (and with two minutes to go I realised I did the bearing from the boat, and not the origin, so I rushed through to correct it). I was quite happy about it because I'm definitely more of a strong pure mathematician than a mechanics-man, so it was nice to be able to figure something out.

I think the other questions were generic for the topics that they covered, so I'm not worried about it. Even if I don't do as well as I think, I got nigh on 100% in PC1 and PC2 went well, so they'll undoubtedly pull the grade up.

... Chemistry tomorrow!

Im more of a pure man as well, done my maths a year early and got 83 in core one and 90 something in core 2. D1 i totally mucked up, got a D, so i decided to take M1 instead of retaking
Reply 3
Does D1 come into A2 maths? I was just wondering because I keep hearing people mention it, but I am taking D1 in Further Maths AS, so I don't know which course people are referring when they say D1 (which has to be the most tedious topic ever, even more so than S1).
Reply 4
CJHackett
Does D1 come into A2 maths? I was just wondering because I keep hearing people mention it, but I am taking D1 in Further Maths AS, so I don't know which course people are referring when they say D1 (which has to be the most tedious topic ever, even more so than S1).

Nope, Core maths is quite simple to be honest, as long as you do most of the questions in the big arse book lol. D1 is regarded as an easy subject by universities like cambridge who more often then not reject people who took it but its by no means easy if you ask me. Whats further maths like? im thinking about picking it up next year as an extra AS.
Reply 5
Thought it was decent actually, what did you get for the tension in the strings and the mass of the sign? Also the distance travelled by the plane, was it around 170m?
Reply 6
This paper was much harder than anticipated. he first question was pretty easy aswell as that momentum one. I never really understood the tension one about the picture. I got the tension as 20N and for the last part i got about 6.9Kg i think it was. Question 4 was a nighmare, so was question 5 the one about the block on a slope. The projectile question was pretty straight forward and so was the last question.

I think there were other q's but just cant remember
The paper was relatively easy, I ****ed up 8c) and 8d) though, but I blame missing all of the vectors lessons for that.

For the tension, I got 10N in each string, and approximately 6.9kg for the mass.
Reply 8
I like Further Maths and any mathsy person would and it certainly looks good on a Uni app, especially for a related subject (I'm going to be doing English though). Being like me with the Pure, you'll most likely find the Further Pure quite interesting. Some of the things to do with trigonometry and matrices can be fiddly at first, but it's all good once you get through it. It's a nice sense of developing from 'being told how to do difficult things' to 'understanding difficult things and applying them elsewhere'. It helped me with Core 1 and 2 by simplyfying some of the methods.

I've already taken the Stats 1 AS exam for Further Maths, I got 93%, boring as hell, in my opinion, but not too difficult - again just fiddly, but Further Pure balances out the pain :biggrin:
Reply 9
tuna1
Thought it was decent actually, what did you get for the tension in the strings and the mass of the sign? Also the distance travelled by the plane, was it around 170m?

I can't remember about the tension in the strings.

I think the mass of the sign was something like 6.69kg or 6.9 like others have said, it's around that sort of number.

Do you mean the resultant velocity of the aeroplane? That was approximately 170 (maybe 173?), but I don't remember working out a distance for that.
yeah i agree with HKS.....i bull****ted q4 might get some marks
Reply 11
Yeah thats what i got

PS. whittome you sly one
Reply 12
BrainSaladSurgery
The paper was relatively easy, I ****ed up 8c) and 8d) though, but I blame missing all of the vectors lessons for that.

For the tension, I got 10N in each string, and approximately 6.9kg for the mass.

I didnt reallly kno what i was doing on the tension question i just used the A/sinA=B/SinB rule. That aeroplane question i had no idea what i was doing so i just used tan for the first part then pythagoras for the 2nd part.
Reply 13
anyone get 36.8 degrees for the last part of last question?
Reply 14
By the way what did you guys get for the truck and car question, did any of you get 1280 Newtons?
I got 12N for the tension in the strings, and I got 6.9Kg or 6.69Kg or whatever for the biggest mass of the sign.

I didn't bother revising the momentum bits, so I was a bit lost on that question, because I didn't know whether to divide by 5 at the end. I ended up with something like -6 over -1, which I then divided to get a velocity of -1.2 over -0.2, and then for the speed I did a pythagoras to get 1.2ms^-1 or something? That's probably completely wrong, because I had to guess most of the method. What were the answers?
Reply 16
Also did you have to use pythagorams theorem for the airplane questions?
Reply 17
HKS_
I didnt reallly kno what i was doing on the tension question i just used the A/sinA=B/SinB rule. That aeroplane question i had no idea what i was doing so i just used tan for the first part then pythagoras for the 2nd part.

I don't remember having to use the sine rule anywhere, for the tensions in the strings, it was just about resolving vertically and horizontally using componenets.

The stuff you did for the aeorplane question sounds right to me.
Reply 18
v2006
anyone get 36.8 degrees for the last part of last question?

i got 51 degrees but that was beacause i 4got to take it away from 90, so it near the right answer

What did everyone put for 4 c) if the rope is noth horizontal how would it affact the tension?
Reply 19
"anyone get 36.8 degrees for the last part of last question?"

I got 37.8

"By the way what did you guys get for the truck and car question, did any of you get 1280 Newtons?"

I did! I am glad someone else did, that was purely guesswork.

"I didn't bother revising the momentum bits, so I was a bit lost on that question, because I didn't know whether to divide by 5 at the end. I ended up with something like -6 over -1, which I then divided to get a velocity of -1.2 over -0.2, and then for the speed I did a pythagoras to get 1.2ms^-1 or something? That's probably completely wrong, because I had to guess most of the method. What were the answers?"

That's all correct.

"Also did you have to use pythagorams theorem for the airplane questions?"

Yes, for the resultant velocity.

Latest