The Student Room Group

Another reason why i don't want marriage

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by super_kawaii
Cultural norms always lead to assumptions, so when people buck that trend it's surprising so people will be curious as to why they're bucking the trend. Normal human nature

i guess, i just don't want to do what everyone expects me to do since i see no reason why i should meet your expectation, i do how well i do and that's that, for example emphasizing that revision is important and i must do more won't make me suddenly do more revision i do how much i want and that's that anymore and i'll go insane any less and there's no point me even trying to work.
Original post by thefatone
i guess, i just don't want to do what everyone expects me to do since i see no reason why i should meet your expectation, i do how well i do and that's that, for example emphasizing that revision is important and i must do more won't make me suddenly do more revision i do how much i want and that's that anymore and i'll go insane any less and there's no point me even trying to work.

I never said I had expectations for you-all I said was that getting married and having children are two independent things that can only be decided by the couple themselves. Times are changing and I'd say there are a lot different expectations nowadays-marriage and childbirth are a lot less expected than they used to be and there's no expectation for anything among our generation.
Out of the many reasons i have for not marrying here's one that particularly strikes me as odd(if i was thinking in someone else's shoes)
and i wondered if anyone else feels the same way or i'm just being stupid.

Being married doesn't mean that you have to be around kids. This is a pretty poor argument for not getting married. There are far better reasons not to.
Reply 23
Get a cat instead of having a child, then once you're comfortable having a cat, adopt another one. Cats are wonderful company and you can treat them like your babies. After a short while, if your two cats are settling in well, get another to keep them company. Keep this process up until you have a robotic cat army to enslave the filthy humans with.
Reply 24
Out of the many reasons i have for not marrying here's one that particularly strikes me as odd(if i was thinking in someone else's shoes)
and i wondered if anyone else feels the same way or i'm just being stupid.

The content of your second spoiler box leads me to agree that you should never procreate. Ever!

And that is okay. You do you.
Reply 25
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
People in this thread are annoying the whole point of marriage is to have kids. You don't have to but it's what people get married for to have kids and grow old together

Nope! Marriage is a commitment of companionship. I know several happily married, and unmarried, childless couples. This is a personal choice and quite a normal one. Marriage is not a contract of bearing children and never has been.
Reply 26
I never said I had expectations for you-all I said was that getting married and having children are two independent things that can only be decided by the couple themselves. Times are changing and I'd say there are a lot different expectations nowadays-marriage and childbirth are a lot less expected than they used to be and there's no expectation for anything among our generation.

not you no xD but others such as my parents have expectations and give me this bull saying i'll grow up and make a family and i know i don't want it.

Original post by morgan8002
Being married doesn't mean that you have to be around kids. This is a pretty poor argument for not getting married. There are far better reasons not to.

i have no problem being around kids(apart from when they scream)
my problem is supporting one and the burden which comes with that
why would i live my life normally earning normal pay then decided that i want to get a partner then burden myself with extra expenses of a child? to me it doesn't make sense
for not getting married i just don't want the commitment that comes with it, some may say i'm escaping my "responsibilities" however isn't that their view of how i should live my life? get a partner settle happily?
Original post by C-rated
Get a cat instead of having a child, then once you're comfortable having a cat, adopt another one. Cats are wonderful company and you can treat them like your babies. After a short while, if your two cats are settling in well, get another to keep them company. Keep this process up until you have a robotic cat army to enslave the filthy humans with.

0-100 real quick
but i don't really want kitties destroying my place, same goes for dogs
Original post by CCC75
The content of your second spoiler box leads me to agree that you should never procreate. Ever!

And that is okay. You do you.

lol i don't wanna procreate? but it just really annoys me, sometimes i prefer just being in my own world or silence is good
Logic and common sense obviously doesn't exist with OP
Getting married doesn't mean you have to have children. My brother's married but they've agreed to never have children.

Also, you don't have to be married to have children. They're two completely independent things, neither one being a prerequisite to the other, so IMHO, your reasoning is a bit silly.

Yep, my godparents have been married 40 years and instead of kids they have four cats which are a lot easier
Reply 29
Original post by UnknownRoyalist

huh??? if you mean mixing up the 2 separate matters yes my fault >.> but i don't want either children nor marriage
I'm pretty sure most don't like the sound of babies crying. Isn't it an evolutionary thing so you see to them*? :erm:

Regardless, you don't have to have children to get married. Plenty of people get married and never have children. Even if you just don't want to get married, that's fine. You do what makes you happy. :yep:

Spoiler

Reply 31
Original post by acupofgreentea
I'm pretty sure most don't like the sound of babies crying. Isn't it an evolutionary thing so you see to them*? :erm:

Regardless, you don't have to have children to get married. Plenty of people get married and never have children. Even if you just don't want to get married, that's fine. You do what makes you happy. :yep:

Spoiler

sorry but my senses are fked up girl.
this just makes me want to crush them into a pulp so i can lay my ears to rest

my parents(just my dad) seem to have this ideal that i'll grow up and have a family and i don't wanna but he keeps on insisting and i hate people who keep pushing you even though they know you don't like it .-.
I think the fun of playing with a baby less than 1 year old offsets the all crying. Besides, some babies are really gentle and calm, I think it is all about the parenting.

I know several people who also don't want babies, though one of them said she might change her mind much later.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by CCC75
Nope! Marriage is a commitment of companionship. I know several happily married, and unmarried, childless couples. This is a personal choice and quite a normal one. Marriage is not a contract of bearing children and never has been.

I never said it was! All I'm saying is that it's common for people to get married to bare kids. Noone can force anyone to make kids
I used to say the exact thing when I was younger. Where I come from, marriage automatically implied bearing children. Not to mention that I come from a very orthodox orthodox family, and because my mother had an abortion, it is thereby ordained to me to have at least two children to absolve her of her sin (but that's why I signed myself off the church without her knowing when I turned 18 :'D).

Now I changed my mind, although many things changed since I last had that thought. I'm actually looking forward to getting married and having a child (when the time will be best for both). I took care of my baby cousin when she was born (I was 7) alongside my nan, as her mother was working till late and my uncle was working abroad, so I am accustomed to babies; anything from changing diapers to guarding them, feeding them (only when she was no longer dependent of her mum's milk) changing them and sending them to sleep until late at night, whilst having to leave to school at 6 am.

Surprisingly, also, babies generally tend to be very calm around me. Exceptions apply, of course.
Original post by UnknownRoyalist

No need for that, Royal.
Original post by A Gentleman
No need for that, Royal.

Sorry, sir.
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
When people say they hate kids, I find myself wondering how they were ever kids themselves :dontknow:

I don't hate kids by any means. But I struggle to relate to children and I have never wanted my own kids.

Even as a kid I struggled to relate to other kids, I struggled to make friends my own age. I always got on better with adults even as a child and spent more time with them. No idea why, just who I am I guess?

If that answers your question? Except for the hate part, it would be frankly silly for me to hate children who have done me no wrong.
Original post by SophieSmall
I don't hate kids by any means. But I struggle to relate to children and I have never wanted my own kids.

Even as a kid I struggled to relate to other kids, I struggled to make friends my own age. I always got on better with adults even as a child and spent more time with them. No idea why, just who I am I guess?

If that answers your question? Except for the hate part, it would be frankly silly for me to hate children who have done me no wrong.

I can actually relate to that quite a bit :yep:

I was specifically talking about those who explicitly say "hate" kids :redface:
Original post by ||TheUnknown||
I can actually relate to that quite a bit :yep:

I was specifically talking about those who explicitly say "hate" kids :redface:

Anyone who genuinely outright just hates kids is probably a little bit unhinged.

It's silly to just outright hate an entire group of people.

Quick Reply

Latest