The Student Room Group

URGENT! How does climate affect biomes, eg. rainforests

I need to know how climate can affect biomes, specifically rainforests.

If you could say and explain how climate can affect other biomes as well as rainforests that would be fantastic and really appreciated.

Many thanks!
Biomes are specific to an areas climate. E.g. species of trees in rainforests won't be in temperate conditions. If the climate were to change then the organisms in the biome wouldn't be adapted to the new conditions causing a negative impact, e.g. if a rainforest became drier then there would be less water available for plants. Also organisms will migrate to another area which is changing to their adapted conditions e.g. temperate organisms in the northern hemisphere will migrate further north as areas warm up because their current location is too warm but colder regions further north are warming up and becoming more suitable for them.

Would wait for a A2 geography student to answer this question before taking mine as they'll be able to give a better answer.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
The question is this: "How does climate affect biomes such as rain forests"

So I wasnt sure whether it was asking:
Option 1) How would climate change affect the biomes, so for example if the climate got hotter/didnt rain then plants would likely not be able to survive and would die out.
Option 2) How does the climate in a biome affect the biome, so for example a hot wet climate would lead to a rainforest

Which one is it, and why? What could you say for each one (especially option 2)? If that is what the question is asking, I am stuck trying to understand what to put if it is the 2nd option. Please explain what I could put if it was the 2nd option :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest