The Student Room Group

Low Attendance at Sixth Form- Education Welfare Officer!?

Hi guys,
My attendance for sixth form is abysmally low (40ish% I believe), due to a some medical reasons that I don't particularly want to share and an attempt to catch up on work that I've missed (ironic, I know)

Basically, I was so far behind on my courses that being in lesson didn't help at all. I sat for hours in class, not understanding the content being taught because of lack of supplementary knowledge.

I was an A* student at GCSE (I came out with 10 at the end) and now I'm on EEA. Does the education welfare officer calling mean that the school are considering expelling me?

What do the education welfare officers even do?
She's called twice over the last two days and I just keep ignoring the phone, because I am honestly scared shitless of what to say to her

I don't think any of the reasons I don't attend college are particularly valid

Anyone else had experience with the welfare officers?
Also, could my parents be fined for my poor attendance or is this highly unlikely?

Thanks!
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by LittleMissMoo
Hi guys,
My attendance for sixth form is abysmally low (40ish% I believe), due to a some medical reasons that I don't particularly want to share and an attempt to catch up on work that I've missed (ironic, I know)

Basically, I was so far behind on my courses that being in lesson didn't help at all. I sat for hours in class, not understanding the content being taught because of lack of supplementary knowledge.

I was an A* student at GCSE (I came out with 10 at the end) and now I'm on EEA. Does the education welfare officer calling mean that the school are considering expelling me?

What do the education welfare officers even do?
She's called twice over the last two days and I just keep ignoring the phone, because I am honestly scared shitless of what to say to her

I don't think any of the reasons I don't attend college are particularly valid

Anyone else had experience with the welfare officers?
Also, could my parents be fined for my poor attendance or is this highly unlikely?

Thanks!

The welfare officer will be looking at what is best for you (and yes, indeed the school) and I don't for one second their about to ditch a student with your academia, they know you're truly capable and it is just the lack of attendance which is getting in the way - and that is understandable!

Just answer the phone and talk honestly and openly. If you're scared that you're going to be expelled, then not picking up the phone won't stop it. By not picking up the phone, you're more likely to be expelled for the assumption you're not interested in your studies.

Quick Reply

Latest