The Student Room Group

The wisest choice for A-level?

After being told by my school that I should take 4 a-levels, I am worried about choosing my fourth. I have chosen chemistry, biology and maths so far as I am hoping to study vet med at uni (hard as that might be to get into).

I was considering English Lit or Psychology, but I'd like to know:
1. Which is preferred at universities for vet med/medicine courses?
2. Which would be harder to get a good grade in (seeing as I haven't done psychology before, and English is not my favourite subject by any means)?
Reply 1
Neither will be preferred, you can do any fourth subject except General Studies, Critical Thinking and possibly PE for some unis.

From my school, everyone seems to really enjoy psychology and I don't think it's too hard or too easy, it seems okay though, so if you don't like English that much, definitely go for psychology as it seems to be a well-liked A-Level choice.

Good luck :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by nox1
Neither will be preferred, you can do any fourth subject except General Studies, Critical Thinking and possibly PE for some unis.

From my school, everyone seems to really enjoy psychology and I don't think it's too hard or too easy, it seems okay though, so if you don't like English that much, definitely go for psychology as it seems to be a well-liked A-Level choice.

Good luck :smile:

Original post by confused90210
After being told by my school that I should take 4 a-levels, I am worried about choosing my fourth. I have chosen chemistry, biology and maths so far as I am hoping to study vet med at uni (hard as that might be to get into).

I was considering English Lit or Psychology, but I'd like to know:
1. Which is preferred at universities for vet med/medicine courses?
2. Which would be harder to get a good grade in (seeing as I haven't done psychology before, and English is not my favourite subject by any means)?

It's worth noting that for some universities like Glasgow
Art, Drama, General Studies, Home Economics, Music or PE
are not classed as acceptable third subjects
Reply 3
So it's not just my school.:h: Psychology is such a popular a level choice.
If the unis you apply to don't specify that you can't take psychology as a 4th A level I would do a subject where your strengths lie and where you can get the better grade. I started doing English Lit and found it VERY time consuming with all the reading/essays we had to do so I dropped it quite early on, no idea what psychology is like but had some friends at vet school (Liverpool) who chose that as their 4th subject.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending