The Student Room Group
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website

Life at UEA/Norwich/Accommodation Help

Current UEA students/people who know the city & accommodation,

- What is Norwich like? Is it lively & are there a variety of good clubs & nightlife.

- How do you normally get from campus into Norwich?

- Which accommodation are you in and do you like it?

Also, how are you finding the whole place and uni.

:smile::smile::biggrin::biggrin::o:o:h:
Original post by KentonW

- What is Norwich like? Is it lively & are there a variety of good clubs & nightlife.

Ex UEA student here

Norwich is definitely lively, there are a fair number of clubs given the size of the city, mostly situated in and around Prince of Wales Road and the LCR on campus is always popular. It's not going to offer the diversity of say Birmingham, Manchester or London though. There are a lot of pubs though.

You've got three options for getting into Norwich- the bus, takes 20 mins or so and you can get a bus pass from First which makes it a lot cheaper if you are likely to go in a few days a week.
If you are with 4/5 people however it can work out cheaper to get a taxi, most people use them to go into town and back on a night out.
And there are also a significant number of people who cycle into town- Norwich is very cycle friendly.

I was in Britten- one of the campus ensuite halls. Overall I liked it, I had a good size room with very large desk, decent sized shower room, we had a big kitchen and it was 5 minutes from the main square, if that. The only real downside is how difficult it was to meet others in different flats- people didn't mingle at all in my block, however I guess that depends on whose in them.
Students outside halls at University of East Anglia (UEA)
University of East Anglia
Norwich
Visit website
Current first year, I live in Nelson and love it, there is easy access to everything you need. a return to town on the bus is £3 and a taxi to town is £6 each way so sharing taxis is quite common. the LCR is a lively on cmapus venue with something almost every night and there are major clubs and pubs in the city.
Reply 3
Original post by KentonW

I'm a current first year in ensuite campus accommodation. I like my accommodation, I've got my own bathroom and the kitchen, once you get used to it isn't too bad. I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about the Ziggurats who lives there, so I think most people are happy with their accommodation.

Norwich is good, loads of different shops and a good choice of clubs/bars, normally get a taxi with my flatmates if we're going out and we split the cost between us which makes it cheaper than the bus, on campus the LCR on campus has stuff on often!

If you live off-campus most people take the bus which you can get about every 5 minutes, or people cycle in, depending how far away you live.

UEA is different to what I expected, but I'm enjoying it :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by KentonW

I've just finished first year and loved it!

Norwich is great & nightlife is good, I have to say I love the LCR nights best though!

Theres a bus that goes straight from campus in to Norwich, its not too expensive and you can buy a pass :smile:

I'm in Britten House (ensuite on campus) and I loved my room! I'll link my room tour here so you can have a look if you want :smile: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1YKUBgmgOE

The whole thing about UEA being a campus university is great, I love the uni itself and I am missing it so much! It was a little harder than I expected first year to be but my course is quite full on so it really depends what you're gonna study :smile:

Hope this helps!
Original post by KentonW

Hello Kenton,

Just a couple of resources I want to point you in the direction of. For a start, our AskUEA website where a few of our experts have given their view:

https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/advice/ask/city-life/what-can-i-do-in-norwich
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/advice/ask/student-life/do-i-have-to-get-drunk-every-night

Our student bloggers often write enthusiastically about Norwich, and we have lots of videos on our YouTube channel to demonstrate how great it is to study here!
Hi

A friend of mine is 18 and has unfortunately missed out on Uni Halls for this sept.

I'm searching online for student flatshares and finding very little so could anyone shed any light on student areas? facebook groups? or ways to find student accommodation in Norwich.

Private halls are apparently sold out too but she is on a waiting list. Is it likely some uni halls may come available closer to the time?

Thanks!
Reply 7
Original post by amie_willsgo
Hi

A friend of mine is 18 and has unfortunately missed out on Uni Halls for this sept.

I'm searching online for student flatshares and finding very little so could anyone shed any light on student areas? facebook groups? or ways to find student accommodation in Norwich.

Private halls are apparently sold out too but she is on a waiting list. Is it likely some uni halls may come available closer to the time?

Thanks!

Either look at the roads around the uni in the NR4 postcode, or the Golden Triangle (NR2) - Unthank Rd/Earlham Rd/Dereham Rd and any of the roads off of them. City centre is normally a bit more expensive but the direct buses to campus 25/26 are still accessible.

I would probably suggest avoiding the 'private' uni accommodation they are very expensive and I have never met anyone in the 3 years I was at UEA that lived in them.

Her best bet is either a shared house or flat or even a studio flat - all of which will be cheaper than most of the halls on campus. I share a 2 bed flat in the Golden Triangle and I pay approx £312 plus bills (no council tax as students are exempt - you can get a letter from the uni to prove it to the council), in a private let (not a student one) and it is much cheaper than I paid when I lived on campus.

Try rightmove (including the dedicated student listings on there), spareroom etc. Also try https://www.facebook.com/groups/316131405105115/ as people already at UEA will be trying to fill spare rooms in houses they are already letting this academic year.

Just because she may live with 2nd or 3rd years won't mean she'll miss out on meeting people, she'll probably meet more to be honest and still be able to attend freshers week events!

Good luck and I am sure she will find somewhere!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest