The Student Room Group

louie simmons gives interesting counter argument to narrow stance squats for athletes

[video="youtube_share;3LfuJihPhfQ"]http://youtu.be/3LfuJihPhfQ?t=29[/video]

Scroll to see replies

lol
Original post by SmashConcept
lol

well he trains football players and other athletes
Original post by Straighthate

He's also completely incoherent most of the time he talks or writes.
He's also completely incoherent most of the time he talks or writes.

yh he talks fast

but:
wide stance squats have same quad activation as narrow
the box makes them use their hips to get the weight up
and hip drive is important in all sports
yh he talks fast

but:
wide stance squats have same quad activation as narrow
the box makes them use their hips to get the weight up
and hip drive is important in all sports

It's not that he talks fast. He talks using words and sentences that don't make sense.

I agree that wide stance squats are fine for athletes provided it doesn't pose an injury/overuse risk. I agree that box squats are fine although it's ridiculous to think that the box activates different muscles to a significant extent.

The leg curl thing is a load of crap. The "there's one way to do a box squat" thing is a load of crap.

The CrossFit douche wasn't collapsing onto the box because he had weak hips, he was collapsing because his centre of mass was going way behind his feet.
Also if narrow stance squats have the same quad activation on EMGs, but work the quad over a longer range of motion, they are probably a better quad exercise. Not that quads are particularly important for athletes.
LOL
Also if narrow stance squats have the same quad activation on EMGs, but work the quad over a longer range of motion, they are probably a better quad exercise. Not that quads are particularly important for athletes.

I'm impressed by your performance. It's like you got smarter after hanging out with me.

And yeah not that surprising activation of muscles in mid range is greatest.....

Suprised you didnt mention belt squats (although that is a simmons idea lol).
I had no idea who this guy was before I clicked this thread, but I can gather from watching this one video that the guy is a total moron.
Original post by redbuthotter
I'm impressed by your performance. It's like you got smarter after hanging out with me.

And yeah not that surprising activation of muscles in mid range is greatest.....

Suprised you didnt mention belt squats (although that is a simmons idea lol).

Also "can we squat narrow and kick everyone's ass? Yes."

Just ****ing L... O... L

Actually the extent to which he "trains" football players and athletes is not really clear. He has been a consultant on NFL and college teams, but he expressed that he doesn't want to train teams full time, and I don't know what a consultant really is. The stories of actual athletes going to WSB are usually just "oh he came and he was terrible at box squats so we laughed at him, then Chuck Vogelpohl did his sport better and he was amazed."

And honestly, WSB has been the most hyped gym in America for the last 20 years, and in that time the USA has won about 200 gold medals. According to Louie's website, he has trained two gold medalists - Moe Robinson, who appears to be made up (he exists but he is an ice hockey player not a sprinter, and he never won a gold medal) and Butch Reynolds, who won a gold in 1988 and got suspended for drugs which may or may not have been legitimate.

So what do you think about the specifics of Louie's history training athletes? Because nobody else really seems to know.
Original post by WoodyMKC
I had no idea who this guy was before I clicked this thread, but I can gather from watching this one video that the guy is a total moron.

Can you post a video of this exercise? Looks like it might really help @redbuthotter with his deadlift.
Can you post a video of this exercise? Looks like it might really help @redbuthotter with his deadlift.

available at any good bondage store

[video="youtube_share;lSDN_olDIpE"]http://youtu.be/lSDN_olDIpE?t=13[/video]
available at any good bondage store

[video="youtube_share;lSDN_olDIpE"]http://youtu.be/lSDN_olDIpE?t=13[/video]

Ahahahaha I think my Crossfit style gym with no iron plates actually has one SMH

It looks pretty weak though, kinda like a poor man's PowerPohl

Actually the extent to which he "trains" football players and athletes is not really clear. He has been a consultant on NFL and college teams, but he expressed that he doesn't want to train teams full time, and I don't know what a consultant really is. The stories of actual athletes going to WSB are usually just "oh he came and he was terrible at box squats so we laughed at him, then Chuck Vogelpohl did his sport better and he was amazed."

And honestly, WSB has been the most hyped gym in America for the last 20 years, and in that time the USA has won about 200 gold medals. According to Louie's website, he has trained two gold medalists - Moe Robinson, who appears to be made up (he exists but he is an ice hockey player not a sprinter, and he never won a gold medal) and Butch Reynolds, who won a gold in 1988 and got suspended for drugs which may or may not have been legitimate.

So what do you think about the specifics of Louie's history training athletes? Because nobody else really seems to know.

Pretty much this

I don't get the theory of supportive equipment like wraps etc carrying over to sports. Nor super wide squatting which not even a sumo gets that wide.

Also lolz at a zercher harness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
bump

(edited 7 years ago)
Say what you want about LS but his training methods are legit and he is easily one of the best strength coaches of all time - Westside barbell's lifters are all in the 2000lb club as a minimum to be invited to train there as well as the greatest legit total of all time (3005lbs) - has trained numerous top athletes as well as powerlifters. LS has pioneered powerlifting training at the elite level, and that can not be argued.

The problem is with LS - his advice and coaching is tailored to those in the elite powerlifter/athlete ranks - it doesn't mean much to the average guy in the gym (which is what most of TSR is), which is why the average gym goer has no business telling a cited expert in the field of strength and conditioning that his training methods are whack.

Quick Reply

Latest