The Student Room Group

How did the period of enlightenment shape Kants theories and ideas?

Hi, im just looking for some extra information to abng into an essay. I know that Kant was writing in the period of enlightenment, a period which emphasized the capacity for human reason, and how if we could tap into it we could erase illogical and foolish things like religion and superstition, but how did theis all shape kants theorys and ideas.
thanks
Oh sorry, disregard my first post since ive found the answer now lol here it is for anyone who may want it:

Enlightenment is man's emergence from his self-imposed nonage. Nonage is the inability to use one's own understanding without another's guidance. This nonage is self-imposed if its cause lies not in lack of understanding but in indecision and lack of courage to use one's own mind without another's guidance. Dare to know! (Sapere aude.) "Have the courage to use your own understanding," is therefore the motto of the enlightenment and Kantian Deontology is based on this.
Reply 2
ENLIGHTENMENT = REASON. Kant's whole theory is based on reason. It is this which separates man from animals, gives man dignity and connects man to man. Therefore, when deciding what to do we should use reason rather than intuition, as intuition is animal behaviour. Using reason makes actions moral: a good action is a reasonable one, a bad action action is an unreasonable one. We should be consistent in applying our moral beliefs: what is right or wrong in one situation will be the same in a similar situation. If we all use reason to make moral decisions, then we will all reach the same conclusions which we should all obey.

Hope that's helped :smile: .
brown
ENLIGHTENMENT = REASON. Kant's whole theory is based on reason. It is this which separates man from animals, gives man dignity and connects man to man. Therefore, when deciding what to do we should use reason rather than intuition, as intuition is animal behaviour. Using reason makes actions moral: a good action is a reasonable one, a bad action action is an unreasonable one. We should be consistent in applying our moral beliefs: what is right or wrong in one situation will be the same in a similar situation. If we all use reason to make moral decisions, then we will all reach the same conclusions which we should all obey.

Hope that's helped :smile: .

Wow thanks man! really helped.

PS. ive got 22 days left until my exams are over :p:
Reply 4
Lucky you :p: . AEA RS (3 hours) is my last exam :boring: .

Latest

Trending

Trending