Hey! Sign in to get help with your study questionsNew here? Join for free to post

Organic Chemistry - AS Level

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

After completing the experiment from the attached sheet, I have been asked by my teacher to complete the questions. For question 1 I have been fine. In question 2, I have been unsure how to classify Hexan-1,6-diol as primary, secondary or tertiary and the same with propane-1,2-diol. I have assumed the first was primary and have written the following:
    Attachment 524201524203
    I would appreciate any help anyone can give with this. I have looked in my textbook and have looked online a bit and haven't been able to find anything relating to this.
    Attached Images
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf oxo_ACheA_1402_pr02_xxaann.pdf (114.7 KB, 87 views)

I think when you define an alcohol as primary secondary or tertiary you are defining it for a specific alcohol group on the chain.

so think what you have done is correct.

Hmm thanks. I hope it is. I was also just completing question 3 after posting this and have encountered another confusing thing. I got the molecular formula to be C3H6O for part and for b I got the compound to be propan-1-ene-2-ol (not sure if name is correct but you should know what I mean). I don't, however, see how that can be oxidized to a ketone as it has a double bond which would cause there to be 5 bonds on a carbon. (see attached images again)
    Name:  20160419_212459.jpg
Views: 33
Size:  501.8 KBAttachment 524233524237
    Attached Images

Hi I don't know if it's too late, but your molecular formula is correct however the compound drawn isn't.
    First of all it states that when bromine water is added, there is no colour change. This indicates that your molecular doesn't have a C=C bond.
    But because it's able to oxidise to a ketone it has to have a OH group. The only option is to have a cyclic ring system, so compound Z should be cyclopropanol.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 24, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.