The Student Room Group

Do AS grades matter? -___-

say you don't get the grades you would have hoped. Does this jeopardise your chances of actually applying to courses and universities that you want.

I just don't know whether uni's look at both your AS grades and A-level grades or just your A-level Grades only. :smile:
Original post by helpMehRevise
say you don't get the grades you would have hoped. Does this jeopardise your chances of actually applying to courses and universities that you want.

I just don't know whether uni's look at both your AS grades and A-level grades or just your A-level Grades only. :smile:

Your universities will DEFINITELY look at your AS grades. If your AS grades are crxp why even bother with A2
Yes, they do. For your universtities they need an indication from your AS grades ofc they look at them, how else do they consider your place they can't tell the future. But they can roughly assume what you "may" get in A2 if you get a D at AS in maths for example and they want a A overall, it doesn't seem like you can get it if AS is much easier and say you can get that A.
Focus on these, don't be a fool and not revise for them cause you cba.
We all are scared, but if you revise for them well enough there's no reason to be.
My 2 cents for u
Original post by RoadtoSuccess
Yes, they do. For your universtities they need an indication from your AS grades ofc they look at them, how else do they consider your place they can't tell the future. But they can roughly assume what you "may" get in A2 if you get a D at AS in maths for example and they want a A overall, it doesn't seem like you can get it if AS is much easier and say you can get that A.
Focus on these, don't be a fool and not revise for them cause you cba.
We all are scared, but if you revise for them well enough there's no reason to be.
My 2 cents for u

Thanks Dude
One more question.
When do students apply for universities? Beginning of year 13/Middle or at the End of year 13 when they get their grades back?
Thanks Dude
One more question.
When do students apply for universities? Beginning of year 13/Middle or at the End of year 13 when they get their grades back?

At the beginning of year 13, because you then have to go through the process etc.. And at the end of year 13 when you get your overall grades, you then know whether or not you've secured the place. :tongue:
np man :biggrin:
Thanks Dude
One more question.

Beginning of year 13 to around february. There are deadliens for each course. The deadline for medicine is december. You can still apply for clearing if you miss the deadline
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Beginning of year 13 to around february. There are deadliens for each course. The deadline for medicine is december. You can still apply for clearing if you miss the deadline

i see but how would they determine your predicted grade when you start you're a-level courses. I am guessing they use your as grades as an indication.
(edited 7 years ago)
At the beginning of year 13, because you then have to go through the process etc.. And at the end of year 13 when you get your overall grades, you then know whether or not you've secured the place. :tongue:
np man :biggrin:

sorry about this but one more question.

So you apply for a university at the beggining of year 13 around January or february but when do uni's respond to your application.
is it always at the end of year 13 or can they just straight say " no" to you.
sorry about this but one more question.

So you apply for a university at the beggining of year 13 around January or february but when do uni's respond to your application.
is it always at the end of year 13 or can they just straight say " no" to you.

Yes, then they just give you either a letter, or phone call saying you have the place. i think some require an interview unsure as I'm also doing my AS atm :biggrin:
And no, once you have a place, its up to your A2 grades if they're good you can get in, if not then they say you can't its called a "conditional offer".

And no probs dw
Yes, then they just give you either a letter, or phone call saying you have the place. i think some require an interview unsure as I'm also doing my AS atm :biggrin:
And no, once you have a place, its up to your A2 grades if they're good you can get in, if not then they say you can't its called a "conditional offer".

And no probs dw

THank you Bro. finally i know what conditional and unconditional offers are :u: lol
Imo AS' are more important than A2.

How well you do in AS determines your predicted grades, which determines the kind of quality university you apply to. Unless you take a year out after your A2 and reapply with the actual A2 grades you have, then in which case A2 is more important.
THank you Bro. finally i know what conditional and unconditional offers are :u: lol

no problem :smile:
glad i could help ^_^
Original post by Abstract_Prism
Imo AS' are more important than A2.

How well you do in AS determines your predicted grades, which determines the kind of quality university you apply to. Unless you take a year out after your A2 and reapply with the actual A2 grades you have, then in which case A2 is more important.

I agree. If you get all U grades in your AS exams it is all over, for my school, pupils are kicked out if they achieve that.. AS grades, provide the basis for predicted grades for universities. If teachers find your AS grades were appalling, it can affect which university choices you make.
I got a really **** grade in further maths (D) I was getting As throughout the year but this year's papers really ****ED me up. I got an A in maths though and I know I can get an A* overall in both subjects (maths and further maths) I wanna apply to Nottingham whats the chance of me getting in

Quick Reply