The Student Room Group

Movies like the matrix

Posted from TSR Mobile

Any movies with similar tone, atmosphere, genre, direction or story as the matrix
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths
Posted from TSR Mobile

Any movies with similar tone, atmosphere, genre, direction or story as the matrix

Probably not what you're looking for but have you seen the Animatrix?

It's a 2003 American-Japanese anthology film based on The Matrix trilogy produced by The Wachowskis, who wrote and directed the trilogy. The film is a compilation of nine animated short films, including four written by the Wachowskis. It details the backstory of the Matrix universe, including the original war between man and machines which led to the creation of the Matrix.
Reply 2
I'd suggest Shutter Island (similar genre - psychological thriller), Memento (a full-on dramatic thriller) and Inception (nice concept and clever movie) for movies most similar in tone to the Matrix.

And you've also got The Prestige (a great thriller and one of my favourite movies), Now You See Me (different tone, more light-hearted but still clever) and Interstellar (very good science-fiction thriller).
(edited 7 years ago)
The film Equilibrium takes clear inspiration from The Matrix. Similar look (e.g. lots of leather), grim sci-fi-ness, similar style combat scenes, similar soundtrack tone. Major difference is that machines aren't very involved.
Reply 4
Inception
I, Robot
Gamer
John Wick
Minority Report
Total Recall
Blade Runner
The Fifth Element
Probably you'll like movies based on stories written by P K Dick
asif mentioned Bladerunner, Total recall & Minority report

some others are
Paycheck, 2003
A scanner darkly, 2006.

----
some other suggestions

Edge of tomorrow (2014)
Source code (2011)
Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind (2004)
Primer (2004)
The machinist (2004)
Donnie Darko (2001)
Vanilla Sky (2001)
Lost Highway (1997)
Videodrome (1983)
Fight Club (1999)

Quick Reply