The Student Room Group

Geography OCR AS 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SilverMusic
For problems caused by the growing demand for services (Urban - 9 marker) - could you put employment? or is this not a service (stupid Q ik)

There may not be enough people to employ in the growing services perhaps? Is this question predicted? Anyone know any predictions?
Thanks guys!!

No problem! Happy to help :smile:
Original post by tgardnerm
There may not be enough people to employ in the growing services perhaps? Is this question predicted? Anyone know any predictions?

No, its from 2014 :smile: someone earlier on in the chat said something about predictions though :smile:
Could you say that a increase in traffic could lead to water pollution because of acid rain?
Could you say that a increase in traffic could lead to water pollution because of acid rain?

Yes, I can't see why not :smile:
For problems caused by the growing demand for services (Urban - 9 marker) - could you put employment? or is this not a service (stupid Q ik)

Potential problems could include:
-inflation
-rise in cost of living
-increased consumption of resources
-housing shortage
-multiple deprivation
-widening gap between rich and poor
-increased stress levels
-social malice
-erosion of rural areas
-pressure on greenfield sites
-high densities
pollution (cultural/noise/visual/atmospheric/water)
-traffic congestion
With reference to two contrasting countries, describeand explain the differences in the importance of tourismin their economic development.

what factors could you explain in their differences- not a nice question:frown:
Original post by choccy123
With reference to two contrasting countries, describeand explain the differences in the importance of tourismin their economic development.

what factors could you explain in their differences- not a nice question:frown:

Firstly, identify your two case study countries.
Throughout the essay you're discussing the importance of tourism, therefore you must discuss the contribution of tourism to the GDP, % jobs made by tourism of total employment. For instance, tourism is more important in UK than China as tertiary sector is 64% if industry whilst it's only 44% in China. If a country has more reliance on the primary and secondary industry (like mineral extraction and manufacturing) then tourism is not important for the economic development of that particular country.

For the essay I write intro, conc and three large paragraphs. Therefore, one could be about the GDP contribution of tourism, another on employment, and perhaps the last could be on the Butler Model and the position of tourism on the model for each country. (China is at development stage, whilst UK is at consolidation and stagnation stage)

Also, you must mention the potential of tourism for the countries in the future and how this may affect the country's economic development.
Original post by penguindrum
Would it be alright if you elaborated a bit more on the formation of edge cities? :smile: I haven't covered them and they seem useful!
What is suburban intensification, in particular?

So suburban intensification is essentially what occurs when lots of people move to the suburbs from the city. They still want the facilities a city offers but in a suburban location so things like shops and schools begin to appear as well as more housing.
An edge city is essentially whats formed when offices and places of work begin locate there (because all the people are living there) and so the suburbs become more city-like hence, edge city.
Original post by Natalie_13
So suburban intensification is essentially what occurs when lots of people move to the suburbs from the city. They still want the facilities a city offers but in a suburban location so things like shops and schools begin to appear as well as more housing.
An edge city is essentially whats formed when offices and places of work begin locate there (because all the people are living there) and so the suburbs become more city-like hence, edge city.

Thanks so much this is really helpful! Best of luck for today :smile:

Examples of services include running water, electricity, waste disposal and housing- not so much employment :smile:
Personally it was AMAZING following that disappointing physical paper.
Original post by DaringDaniel
Personally it was AMAZING following that disappointing physical paper.

YES!!! Same!! It couldn't have gone any better :biggrin:
Reply 93
Did anyone do the urban question, if you did what did you write. I was so unsure what to include!!
im sure everyone did well on the human paper but its the physical paper that will decide what grade you got and because this paper was easy the grade boundaries will stay the same and not go lower which in my opinion is really bad
Reply 95
Original post by cxxk
Did anyone do the urban question, if you did what did you write. I was so unsure what to include!!

For which question?
Anyone else for the energy question?
Thank god for that paper!
Original post by Natalie_13
Anyone else for the energy question?

Yup, I did the energy essay! was way better than the tourism question imo. I did one paragraph on employment opportunities improving economy and community development. Then another on better infrastructure and the last on a clean, secure energy supply.
Reply 99
Original post by Liv1871
For which question?

the 25 marker

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending