The Student Room Group

Contemplating returning to Uni - passed 1st year then withdrew

Basically I passed my first year a couple of years ago, but I was completely underwhelmed and uninterested in my course and simply didn't want to continue. I then decided to dedicate the following two years to traveling.

I don't regret that decision at all, but right now now that I'm back I've been contemplating returning to university if it was possible.

Is it possible to resume study in a completely different course with a head start into the second year considering I've already completed a year, all be it in a different subject? If the transition was possible I would want to go from my previous subject of Education to a Geography degree instead.

Does anybody know how it would effect student loans etc?

Bit of a complicated scenario but it would be awesome if anybody could shed some light if possible.

Thanks.
Original post by hargreaves16
Basically I passed my first year a couple of years ago, but I was completely underwhelmed and uninterested in my course and simply didn't want to continue. I then decided to dedicate the following two years to traveling.

I don't regret that decision at all, but right now now that I'm back I've been contemplating returning to university if it was possible.

Is it possible to resume study in a completely different course with a head start into the second year considering I've already completed a year, all be it in a different subject? If the transition was possible I would want to go from my previous subject of Education to a Geography degree instead.

Bit of a complicated scenario but it would be awesome if anybody could shed some light if possible.

Thanks.

No, if it's an unrelated subject, you will have to start from scratch. The formula for funding is length of course + one year - funding taken, so you would be covered for a new 3 year degree.
Reply 2
Original post by hargreaves16

Thanks.

You're not going to be able to start a new subject at second year. You might be able to continue the same subject and restart in second year, but even that isn't guaranteed.

For student loans you'll be fine. You are covered for one false start, so you'll get loans for the whole of the new degree. It will only get complicated if you drop out again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending