The Student Room Group

Are most football fans in england crazy about betting?

Do you bet on every match you want to watch or just bet on a few matches(of your support teams)?
Original post by Iupao
Do you bet on every match you want to watch or just bet on a few matches(of your support teams)?

I do not think there is much correlation
Well, I only ever bet on football and I mainly do it cause I find a small bet (£1-5) makes the games a bit more exciting for me. I do it games I can call and still enjjoy watching..
Never have done and don't plan on doing so unless it's in the form of a charity sweepstake or whatever. I don't want to put money into something where the odds are basically always against me (i.e. - who knows more about the likely outcome of a game, me or full time professional analysts with all sorts of pricey statistical software?). Betting odds are great for getting an idea of who is a favourite for a match if you really don't have a clue, though.

I can understand why people do bet though, but as I follow a particular team it's actually quite pleasant to be relatively neutral when watching games on TV or whatever (though obviously I'm on the Leicester bandwagon this year, so I'm not neutral there).
from my experiance there is certianly an overlap, but maybe not the majority..

Personally for me betting is fine for most people, as long as you put yourself into a catagory and stick with it: either your betting for fun, or your betting for money.

If your betting for fun, great.. it adds excitement to games, and its an amazing rush when you win.. but always treat it as an expected loss. Its a spend, just like you spend $10 on the cinema.. you now spend $10 to make an afternoon of football better. Its a spend that you will never get back. If you do.. bonus. but its not expected..

Or its about money.. in which case it needs to be treated like a proper buisness, and only with dedication, time, resaserch, etc. will it ever sustainably generate a profit (excluding matched betting)

-- My issue with betting comes when people blur those two, and think they are doing the second, whilst actually acting like the first, then it becomes a danger.
Reply 5
Well I must say that I like sports betting about football, but also that I only bet when there are great events like the World- and European Championships, the Champions and the Europa League or great matches in the most important leagues.

One of my most important rules is not betting on one of my favorite teams, an betting only if I'm well informed about a match, and obviously about the two teams. Fortunately I've discovered a website which helps me very much.
Reply 6
Original post by wotaaa

One of my most important rules is not betting on one of my favorite teams, an betting only if I'm well informed about a match, and obviously about the two teams. Fortunately I've discovered a website which helps me very much.

Would you mind sharing the website with us? I usually only like to bet during big events as well, because it's much more exciting when everybody's talking about the matches. Especially with the Euros coming up, I'd really like to get started again.

I believe it's a lot about strategy, making sure you don't make too high losses even if a bet goes wrong for once. Unfortunately, I'm not that good in strategy right now, but I'd like to inform myself - might help my bets a little. I haven't found any websites though that really help with placing bets, so I appreciate any recommendations.
Reply 7
The website that I use is http://www.online-betting.me.uk/, and if you visit it you also find a lot of content about betting strategies. I've for example made good experiences over/under 2.5 goals betting system.

But it's also important being informed about the teams, and the statistics!

Quick Reply

Latest