The Student Room Group

Being judged academically

Something I hate really. I do a degree in town planning and from that degree the only thing you can really go into is working in development management. I've got no problems in this because it is what I want to do. The issue I have is that planning is a vocational occupation and we are not taught about the job 99% of us will end up doing. In my final year and I am working next year which I'm excited because I am just looking forward to not being judged academically anymore. My course just teaches me about the philosophy around planning which is just so boring and irrelevant to what I will be working on. I am sure many courses are like this but doing my, as I said, vocational degree the Marxist planning theory (for example) is completely irrelevant to what i will be doing in the real world.

Another issue I have got is getting academic references. I think that it's ridiculous that I could be marked down because I used less references than someone else. I work harder than most I think but work isn't judged in a better way than it should a lot of the time when I feel what I write in essays and stuff is completely valid and that I need evidence of where I find the good points I make when in reality I just know the things I know because I just do.

I hope that makes sense haha. Felt like a rant. :smile:
I understand what you mean in regards to references :') You can't see to make any point without some solid evidence but just some things are true?!

I would hope you're not being marked down for not using as many references, it should be about how you use them. Avoid name dropping and use that reference to actually drive your argument forward or to critically evaluate.

One thing that a university degree shows, if nothing else, is commitment to a programme and the subject of said programme so don't underestimate the importance of showing you went the distance in the pursuit of achiving academic competency in your field of interest. Also remember your time in Uni should be more about study but becoming spcially and personally enlightened; progressing more as an individual.

Nothing wrong with a good rant :wink: I hope I helped!
Original post by jjh87
Something I hate really. I do a degree in town planning and from that degree the only thing you can really go into is working in development management. I've got no problems in this because it is what I want to do. The issue I have is that planning is a vocational occupation and we are not taught about the job 99% of us will end up doing. In my final year and I am working next year which I'm excited because I am just looking forward to not being judged academically anymore. My course just teaches me about the philosophy around planning which is just so boring and irrelevant to what I will be working on. I am sure many courses are like this but doing my, as I said, vocational degree the Marxist planning theory (for example) is completely irrelevant to what i will be doing in the real world.

Another issue I have got is getting academic references. I think that it's ridiculous that I could be marked down because I used less references than someone else. I work harder than most I think but work isn't judged in a better way than it should a lot of the time when I feel what I write in essays and stuff is completely valid and that I need evidence of where I find the good points I make when in reality I just know the things I know because I just do.

I hope that makes sense haha. Felt like a rant. :smile:

One of my close family members did that and ended up working as a consultant to the UN in Nigeria. He has his own town planning consultancy and big deal with transport for London.

Think you underestimate its value.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending