The Student Room Group

Failing a resit but being made to do the exam?

So, I'm really struggling in National 5 Maths, I have failed two resits. (Two sections once, fyi) but my teacher is adamant that I do the exam. Would I get a Partial Course Award or would I do the exam and get nothing out of it?

Thanks

Queen G
Reply 1
Original post by Queen G
So, I'm really struggling in National 5 Maths, I have failed two resits. (Two sections once, fyi) but my teacher is adamant that I do the exam. Would I get a Partial Course Award or would I do the exam and get nothing out of it?

Thanks

Queen G

I may be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need to have passed all of the unit assessments before you can sit the exam or you may be able to sit them after the exam but before the end of the academic year.

If you haven't passed all of the units then I don't think you can gain a course award.

Hope this helps! :smile:
Reply 2
Unless your teacher falsifies the nabs then you can't sit the exam; if you pass the nabs but fail the exam you get unit passes or something it can't officially happen the other way around because the only way you get in the exam is to sit the nab in which case you can get A/B/C/D/No Award grades.
However if you don't want to sit the exam just don't turn up, don't allow your teacher to falsify your nabs and just have another shot at nat 5 next year and be happy with nat 4 for now
Original post by Treen98
Unless your teacher falsifies the nabs then you can't sit the exam; if you pass the nabs but fail the exam you get unit passes or something it can't officially happen the other way around because the only way you get in the exam is to sit the nab in which case you can get A/B/C/D/No Award grades.
However if you don't want to sit the exam just don't turn up, don't allow your teacher to falsify your nabs and just have another shot at nat 5 next year and be happy with nat 4 for now

I think that if the teacher is willing to falsify the NABs or turn a blind eye they have faith in you and think you will do well. As someone who is re-sitting maths it is good to get good experience as I really struggled with it in S4 but it helped me in S5 to have an experience of what it was like. I would advise you go with it, and if your teacher is willing to put through the NABs just let them and sit the exam as you never know you might just pass or it will help you next year if you re-sit as to what the exam feeling is like. I would not advise not turning up trust me as I'm resisting

Hope this helps and I hope you turn up and sit the exam :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by samsam9797
I think that if the teacher is willing to falsify the NABs or turn a blind eye they have faith in you and think you will do well. As someone who is re-sitting maths it is good to get good experience as I really struggled with it in S4 but it helped me in S5 to have an experience of what it was like. I would advise you go with it, and if your teacher is willing to put through the NABs just let them and sit the exam as you never know you might just pass or it will help you next year if you re-sit as to what the exam feeling is like. I would not advise not turning up trust me as I'm resisting

Fair enough :wink:
Still, OP make sure if you do sit the exam, by whatever means, that you are confident in sitting it and that you can do well
Reply 5
Original post by samsam9797

Totally agree with samsam9797, if your class teacher did not believe that you could achieve a grade in your final exam then you would not be sitting it in the first place.
If you have concerns it might be a good idea to talk to another maths teacher, your guidance teacher or year head to get their opinion on the matter. Also make sure that you keep your parents informed- they can support you and contact the school to show their concerns if need be.
It is important to keep positive though. With exams fast approaching, it can be a scary and stressful time where your self confidence may drop considerably. You have worked all year to sit this exam, don't let it go to waste! Like samsam9797, I failed national 5 maths the first time round but atleast I had a national 4 award to show for it. When I sat the exam for the second time I noticed where I had gone wrong before and felt much more confident. This was shown in my results when I got a B:h:
Just try the exam, even if you don't get the grade that you want, you are still gaining experience.
Don't give up at the last hurdle! I hope this was a help to you and good luck with your exam; I'm sure you'll do great, just put a little faith in yourself :h:
SophiMai x
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending