The Student Room Group

Access Course at 19 help

I have an interview for a Humanities and Social Sciences Access to HE course next week at Hull College and was wondering whether the fact that I'm 19 and have studied at level 3 will hinder my chances of being accepted on this course for free?

During sixth form I was going through a rough patch; I became homeless and lived in a hostel and in turn I started doing drugs and whatnot which led to me not attending classes, exams, and just sixth form in particular. Thus I got U's in all of my subjects (psychology, philosophy and classical civilisation).

Now I'm determined that I want to go to uni and believe that an access course is currently the best choice for me, as I'm a hard worker but, like I said, I was going through stuff last year which led me to fall back on studying a lot. How much of what I said will either hinder my chances of getting on this course or hinder my chances of getting into a good university? And if I got onto the access course would I have to pay considering I've already studied at level 3 even though I failed?
Reply 1
I'm not sure it will hinder your chances, you can't do much with 3 U grades so it's basically as if you don't have A levels anyway. It won't affect entry into university as it'll be the grade you achieve in your Access course that matters. There isn't funding available for Access as it's considered Further Education rather than Higher Education, which is why I applied straight to university for courses with a foundation year as I can get full funding.
Reply 2
Original post by Caelus
I'm not sure it will hinder your chances, you can't do much with 3 U grades so it's basically as if you don't have A levels anyway. It won't affect entry into university as it'll be the grade you achieve in your Access course that matters. There isn't funding available for Access as it's considered Further Education rather than Higher Education, which is why I applied straight to university for courses with a foundation year as I can get full funding.

I looked into doing a foundation year but obviously I couldn't get a good reference from anyone due to my bad attendance and grades at college. What's the highest level you've studied at then and did you get onto a foundation year? Also I applied for the access course at my college when I was 18 (I was too young) but at the interview the person said it was because there was no funding for people who were under 19, so maybe my college does fund it? I'm really confused.
Reply 3
Original post by katienurd
I looked into doing a foundation year but obviously I couldn't get a good reference from anyone due to my bad attendance and grades at college. What's the highest level you've studied at then and did you get onto a foundation year? Also I applied for the access course at my college when I was 18 (I was too young) but at the interview the person said it was because there was no funding for people who were under 19, so maybe my college does fund it? I'm really confused.

I couldn't get an academic reference either as both of my teachers had retired but if you have a job then your boss can always do one. I finished college with only two A levels at B and C and I'll be starting my degree with a foundation year in September, at one of the best universities in the country if all goes to plan. Access courses vary so much from college to college so it's possible they could fund your tuition now you're technically a "mature" student but there's nothing available from the government ect.
Reply 4
Bump
Reply 5
Bump
Original post by katienurd
I have an interview for a Humanities and Social Sciences Access to HE course next week at Hull College and was wondering whether the fact that I'm 19 and have studied at level 3 will hinder my chances of being accepted on this course for free?

During sixth form I was going through a rough patch; I became homeless and lived in a hostel and in turn I started doing drugs and whatnot which led to me not attending classes, exams, and just sixth form in particular. Thus I got U's in all of my subjects (psychology, philosophy and classical civilisation).

Now I'm determined that I want to go to uni and believe that an access course is currently the best choice for me, as I'm a hard worker but, like I said, I was going through stuff last year which led me to fall back on studying a lot. How much of what I said will either hinder my chances of getting on this course or hinder my chances of getting into a good university? And if I got onto the access course would I have to pay considering I've already studied at level 3 even though I failed?

As of August 2016, the 24+ Loan is being changed to a 19+ loan meaning that you can get the full cost of your course covered and as long as you complete a degree afterwards, you won't have to pay it back.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending