Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

I feel like moving to northumbria uni lol... is this bad!!

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

I did first year psychology in northumbria (like high 40's in the league table), but i transferred to Newcastle (16th) for first year there and now I am sort of starting to regret this - Northumbria said they'd take me back for 2nd year but I am indecisive for the following reasons:

1) The course is mind numbingly boring in NCLlike its insanely hard for me to concentrate, the course itself is much more demanding which is made harder by the fact that none of the modules interest me and the lecturers have no banter lol as opposed to northumbria especially the 2nd year module choices were right up my street - I FEEL LIKE i would more likely do well in Northumbria than NCL, but statistics online say otherwise (2:1 and over = NCL 95%: northumbria 85%)

2) Another issue is one is a met the other is a RG - apparently this doesn't matter, what matters i work experience (under the condition you get a 2:1 or above) which leads me to my last issue...

3) I feel like NCL has more opportunities in terms of work experience etc but I am not 100% sure, it's just what I have concluded from the recruitment fairs, careers service page and emails with opportunities

I am legit just confused, I feel so overwhelmed and like I will fail here - they do statistics on some next level and this goes on even in 3rd year, northumbria only do it till second ffs lol

Tough choice. I was looking at Newcastle Uni as I've tried Northumbria and they are more vocationally focussed. Alas this is perhaps EXACTLY what you need if you are going to use the Psych qualification to practice in therapy afterwards. I also looked at the Newcastle Uni Psych programme, and talked to people that had done it, and it is a disappointment, I mean animal psychology is a large part of the course, I think a whole module or more! And yeah, too much maths. But for me, I was already leaning out of Psych studies, although it's truly fascinating, it's not leading to any job I want, psychologists are hard done too and most psych students end up in marketing, no? I don't want my life's work to be that. I would suggest you note all the points you feel are valuable from Newcastle, and take it to Northumbria admissions tutors for their input. The stats are not relevant though, are they? Northumbria offers a chance to lower achieving entrants, of course they pay with lower stats, but if you got into Newcastle and are prepared to work, you can get a First from Northumbria, or any UK university, that is on YOU. I'm certainly not hearing that Northumbria is costing bright and able students their deserved scores due to negligence or incorrect teaching, so what do the stats truly have to do with anything? Especially a mere 10% difference. You do not believe you are in the top 85%? There is something to be said for the quality of the establishment, degrees maybe viewed with more esteem from certain establishments, but is that truly more influential then you giving a good interview when applying for a job, I doubt it. And Newcastle Uni has no pool! Northumbria students can use a pool and gym for just £17/m!!!!

Still for me, Newcastle has the course I want, and I wanted the experience of the older university institution. I hope I'm not disappointed and that you make the right choice for yourself (the stats be damned!).
    It's also worth considering where would give you a programme that includes the BPS qualification in the course. The last time I checked, I vaguely recall NEITHER institution offered it, and you'd need it to be legit (chartered) and practice therapy. Tyne Met college did offer the qualification, but that is another consideration altogether.

Consider whether you are studying to get a job or studying because you want to learn. If the experience is more important than the end result then Northumbria is the way to go for you; the inverse is true for Newcastle. Professional accreditation/recognition factor in, too. I don't work in psychology, nor have I studied it past A Level so I don't know the professional industry, however remember that the UK is a little elitist, and having Newcastle vs Northumbria to your name does help, regardless of what others will tell you.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 31, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.