The Student Room Group

Why is it impssible to find Subtitles for english dub Anime?

And I mean ver batum subtitles :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Shiv Loves Maths

@angryjellyfish might be able to help you
(edited 8 years ago)
Subs not dubs
Some dubs are pretty good.
Cheers for the tags, I don't usually look in 'Advice on everyday issues' for threads about anime. I've requested it be moved to TV Shows in hopes that you get more answers there. :smile:

Original post by Shiv Loves Maths

Verbatim as in matching the English dub script exactly (i.e. 'dubtitles')? I hope I'm understanding you correctly, if not then the following will be of no help at all. :o:

You can find them on a few DVD releases, mostly older ones, but they're generally seen as a bad thing - most people who watch anime subbed do so with the original Japanese audio, so the subtitle scripts *usually* stick to the timing and meaning of the Japanese, not the English. Since it's sometimes necessary to change the English dub script slightly so that the voice acting matches the lip flapping, using the exact same script and timing for the subs leads to all sorts of annoying issues (worst example I can remember was my DVD boxset of Noein, where subtitles would occasionally show up when nobody was even saying anything in the Japanese, because they added whole lines of dialogue to the English dub and copied them over as well).

The only things I can suggest if you want matching English dub and subs are to look for an English for Deaf/Heard of Hearing option (though that might just add transcripts of sound effects to the regular sub script, also a sign of laziness and cost cutting), or check the TV Tropes page for Dubtitles and watch one of those series?
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest