The Student Room Group

BATH vs NOTTINGHAM MATHS

Hey, never used TSR before, would welcome any opinions...
I currently have Bath as my firm choice A*AA
And Nottingham as my insurance A*AB
However as I think I will get A*AA I am wondering if I actually want to go to Bath over Nottingham... I am aware that Bath is higher in the league tables and also Bath is a nicer city but I liked the accommodation and modern buildings at Nottingham, it shows they are putting a lot of investment into the sciences. Most importantly Nottingham have reached out to me more whereas for Bath I haven't had much information.
Any ideas are welcome!
Original post by JTtsr
However as I think I will get A*AA I am wondering if I actually want to go to Bath over Nottingham... I am aware that Bath is higher in the league tables and also Bath is a nicer city but I liked the accommodation and modern buildings at Nottingham, it shows they are putting a lot of investment into the sciences. Most importantly Nottingham have reached out to me more whereas for Bath I haven't had much information.
Any ideas are welcome!

Bath isn't that far from Nottingham on the league tables. Which city do you think you would prefer living in?
Reply 2
Original post by rayquaza17
Bath isn't that far from Nottingham on the league tables. Which city do you think you would prefer living in?

Bath, but I wouldn't mind living in Nottingham, it boils down to I prefer Nottingham's campus and accommodation but I prefer the city of Bath and it is supposedly better for maths. (Thanks for the reply btw).
Feedback from Bath students is usually quite impressive and their maths course is rated very highly (7th compared to 14th for Notts).

Which do you think is the better package overall? Go with that one :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by Indeterminate
Feedback from Bath students is usually quite impressive and their maths course is rated very highly (7th compared to 14th for Notts).

Which do you think is the better package overall? Go with that one :biggrin:

Decisions decisions... thanks for the help! I'll take a few days to research and think!
First off, bath's website is a pain in the arse to navigate. Google is your friend.

Looking over course content (here for Bath, since it's such a pain to find):

Bath: course order feels weird, but if it works for them, who am I to complain? Strong analysis content, weaker on Algebra (their "Algebra" modules are very linear algebra leaning (and linear algebra basically turns into analysis after a while). Not massively flexible. Quite a lot of stats/physics. Decent computer science/programming stuff (this is 100% a good thing!). Very little number theory. Covers topology in a fairly basic way, including only the more simple varieties of Algebraic topology.

Nottingham: Has a module called "calculus" (as opposed to "analysis": this is rarely a good sign). Makes you use MATLAB (ewww). Lots of computational garbage early on. Has a second year module whose description includes the phrase "You will learn to follow a rigorous approach needed to produce concrete proof of your workings" (this basically means that you will not do mathematics in the first year). Wont let me at the detailed descriptions for most of their modules. Vaguely decent algebra content, from what I can tell by digging around on lecturer's personal webpages. Weaker on Analysis. Lots of applied stuff/stats/physics. Possibly slightly more flexible.

Overall: Bath's is definitely the stronger course for pure mathematics.

Academics: Both have solid algebra and analysis research going on. Bath, for some reason, feels the need to explain what analysis is on their research page (we know: we're looking at your research page). Manchester has a decent topology group as well. No significant number theory going on at either.
I am a second year Mathematical Sciences with placement student at Bath :h:

I have answered some questions in the past on this thread but if you want to ask anything specific, feel free to do so. :borat:
Reply 7
Original post by BlueSam3
First off, bath's website is a pain in the arse to navigate. Google is your friend.

Looking over course content (here for Bath, since it's such a pain to find):

Bath: course order feels weird, but if it works for them, who am I to complain? Strong analysis content, weaker on Algebra (their "Algebra" modules are very linear algebra leaning (and linear algebra basically turns into analysis after a while). Not massively flexible. Quite a lot of stats/physics. Decent computer science/programming stuff (this is 100% a good thing!). Very little number theory. Covers topology in a fairly basic way, including only the more simple varieties of Algebraic topology.

Nottingham: Has a module called "calculus" (as opposed to "analysis": this is rarely a good sign). Makes you use MATLAB (ewww). Lots of computational garbage early on. Has a second year module whose description includes the phrase "You will learn to follow a rigorous approach needed to produce concrete proof of your workings" (this basically means that you will not do mathematics in the first year). Wont let me at the detailed descriptions for most of their modules. Vaguely decent algebra content, from what I can tell by digging around on lecturer's personal webpages. Weaker on Analysis. Lots of applied stuff/stats/physics. Possibly slightly more flexible.

Overall: Bath's is definitely the stronger course for pure mathematics.

Academics: Both have solid algebra and analysis research going on. Bath, for some reason, feels the need to explain what analysis is on their research page (we know: we're looking at your research page). Manchester has a decent topology group as well. No significant number theory going on at either.

Thanks for the awesome summary that helps so much!!!
Reply 8
Original post by SeanFM
I am a second year Mathematical Sciences with placement student at Bath :h:

I have answered some questions in the past on this thread but if you want to ask anything specific, feel free to do so. :borat:

Wow there's so much useful information there thank you very much! Didn't realise how many helpful people there are on here :smile:
Original post by JTtsr
Any ideas are welcome!

Hi,

I am sorry to hear that you are unsure about coming to Bath. I am a first year International Management student here and having a great time! Please do take a look at our accommodation website, I find the accommodation very modern, clean and perfect for student life. I currently live in Quads, the rooms have moodlighting and televisions which my friends at other universities are jealous of!

I would encourage you to visit campus if you haven't already, you would find that inside a lot of the 'older looking' buildings it is actually a lot more modern that it appears. I was in the maths department a couple of days ago and thought that it was very modern! I agree that along the parade some of the buildings can look quite dated, do question the impact of this on your studies however.

You should be sent more information from the university once you have met your offer. In the meantime, if you would like to hear from us please feel free to drop us a message in the University of Bath forum.

Hayden
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest