The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Confused between a 2nd year entry at Sheffield and 1st year at Surrey

So I'm a mature student (24) who's going to continue college after a gap of 4 years now. I applied for BEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering at The University of Sheffield and the University of Surrey, among others. Since I had completed 5 semesters out of 8 the last time I was in college (in India), I wanted a 2nd year entry.

I'm getting that everywhere including Sheffield. But Surrey says that since there has been a long gap in my education they will offer me a 1st year entry. I wrote to them about this but they say they won't amend the offer.

What do you guys think? In terms of UK league tables Surrey is above Sheffield right now. I'd prefer Sheffield over Guildford as a place to live in, though it's a minor factor. The bigger factors are employability. I think being a 27 year old fresh graduate is going to work against me anyway so I should go to the place with better employability. That seems to be Surrey, but I'd have to spend an extra year there.

Is it worth it? I think it is if it makes a difference. Will it make a difference though? I'm so confused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending