Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

Changing universities after your first year?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Why bother with a post grad course - waste of time? 17-10-2016

Hey! I'm having a pretty huge dilemma at the moment. I'm in my first year of uni, and due to personal reasons I feel like restarting at a different university would do me good. I've sorted out UCAS and Student finance, but I am still in two minds whether attending a new university (Uni of Sheffield) from the start would be a good idea. My current uni and Sheffield are not very different within academic levels/ reputation, however it seems like the psychology department at my uni is better in the league tables, so... I really have no idea what to do. If anyone is at the Uni of Sheffield and does psychology there, could you please give me some insight? Or anyone reading this, please share your opinions, as I really need to make my mind up pronto. Thanks!

Im changing from york to sheffield. Im doing english and it was a step down in terms of grades and rankings etc... but wortg it to be happy. Only do it if you are totally sure

I'm changing from Loughborough to Sheffield to study German with Dutch (from an unrelated course). Lufbra is ranked a lot higher although isn't RG, and I'd say both of them are probably the best two in the UK for student experience, but I just didn't really enjoy my time at Loughborough. At the end of the day, rankings/repuation and all that guff doesn't matter - if you think it will make you happier then do it. That's why I've made that decision and I can't wait to start again. I know what I did 'wrong' this year so I'm looking forward to doing things better this next year and really making the most out of going to uni. It's not so much where you go (although that does play a part), but it's more about putting in what you want to get out.

I've got an offer now to transfer to Sheffield although for me I definitely consider it a step up from my current uni. That isn't just based on the league tables though since they do fluctuate a fair bit year to year. I'd say visit Sheffield and get a feel of the place as well as looking at other things like whichuni and modules for your course, then decide if you'd be happier transferring or staying where you are.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: May 13, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Would you want to know what your pet is thinking about you?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.