Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to reassure single mother about moving out for uni?

Announcements Posted on
TSR's new app is coming! Sign up here to try it first >> 17-10-2016

My mum is a single mum and apart from my 12yo brother, I'm the only relative she has in the UK.

Having said that, I really want to move out for uni - I know I'll be moving back home after uni anyway. I've applied for one uni in London and the rest out (retaking two exams while on my gap year) - one in the North is the one I'm most keen about and the one in London's offer might be too difficult to get.

My mum was completely adamant I wouldn't be moving out until last year. But then I got a job and now my mum really wants me to stay in London and work here too. But while I plan to still come in for a couple of shifts here and there, I don't fancy staying in London. I need to get out of this city and although I love my mother and she's done a fantastic job and all, she can be frustratingly overprotective sometimes.

I know she'll be very worried about me and resistant to me moving but she knows that if I want to go, she can't stop me? (As in, she won't lock me in the bathroom, haha. But I know she'll tell me that she'd prefer it if I stay)

I know she'll be worried about me and although she has friends here, it's not quite the same. I intend to visit as much as I can and to call everyday (I know I'll miss them loads) but I know she'll still worry. As mothers do.

How do I reassure her that I'll be fine and to make her worry less? I don't intend to go out and I know she'll want me to stay on campus and get catered accommodation if possible. But she worries about everything and I know she tries not to let her anxiety get in the way of her decisions - but I want to try to lessen the emotional impact my moving out will have on them.

Would be grateful for advice - from both students and parents! I would love to hear some fresh perspectives.

In part, it sounds as though it's a natural thing. You're growing up and leaving home and she's possibly worried about what may happen to you.

It's difficult to know what to suggest really. Did she ever go to the open days with you to look around the uni?

So you're the man of the house, and about to move out? That'll be quite a major adjustment for your mum, even before the issue of your 12yr old brother being her only other relative in the UK.

As a mum myself, I expect she's feeling a lot of conflicting emotions, around concern for your well-being, pride for your achievement, mixed with grief for the end of your dependency on her, and anxiety about how she will feel once you've left. This all reduces to "you're not going."

Be kind to her. But above all, act with maturity, as this will make it easier for her to realise that it's time for you to move on to the next stage of your life. This will all recur with your younger brother, so you also have a responsibility to him to make it work.
Write a reply…

Submit reply

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: April 21, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Do you like sleeping in a cold room?
Useful resources
Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.